• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Snitch or Informant: probable cause in California?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

11378sfv

Probable cause to search" the police can obtain information from:
Confidential Informant - i am familiar with this term, meaning a person who is reliable, credible source, and has snitched before successfully. From what I understand, this source's word alone is probable cause.

Untested Source of Information - this is the question. Is there a difference regarding this kind of snitch to the validity of probable cause. Im assuming the source has never been an informant and the police do not know if what they say is credible - untested.

Motion to Discover:
is it easier to reveal the untested sources identity? or is it just like a C.I.?
Do I have to go to trial to find this information?

CdwJava

11378sfv said:
Probable cause to search" the police can obtain information from:
Confidential Informant - i am familiar with this term, meaning a person who is reliable, credible source, and has snitched before successfully. From what I understand, this source's word alone is probable cause.
It might be ... but going solely on the word of a CI to obtain a warrant is dumb. And the CI's word might be sufficient to get a warrant, but it is generally NOT going to be probable cause for an arrest at the scene.

Untested Source of Information - this is the question. Is there a difference regarding this kind of snitch to the validity of probable cause. Im assuming the source has never been an informant and the police do not know if what they say is credible - untested.
Yes, there is a difference. This source is not going to be relied on in an affidavit.

Motion to Discover:
is it easier to reveal the untested sources identity? or is it just like a C.I.?
Do I have to go to trial to find this information?
You would have to go to court. If they do not need the source's testimony to make the case, then they are not going to reveal him.

- Carl

garrula lingua

The search warant is sealed as far as the ID of the CI is concerned.

Your attorney can bring a motion to disclose the ID and the Judge will decide whether the ID should be given.

Your chances are slim to none that the CI will be named, but you'll spend a lot of money trying.

Why don't you spend your money defending your case instead of going after the CI ? The State/Feds will prove up the case without the CI; or, plead your case out and get on with cleaning up your life.

CdwJava

Oh, and based upon your moniker of "11378sfv" I'm going to guess that you got popped for sales of some pretty serious stuff ... meth., perhaps?

Instead of trying to find out who ratted you out, maybe you ought to look at making a deal as Garrula suggests.

Get an attorney ASAP.

- Carl

11378sfv

thanks for the input..

I do have an attorney - Im not going to waste time with that discovery, thats why I asked the question here.. ( I know who it was anyway) but its not a C.I... but an untested source of information.. Im not on probation, I was pulled from a car and arrested - I believe without probable cause.. but the false info on police report fixes all their illegalities. And I will be dealing with mine.. thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">