• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

so if I was once under investigation but there is no warrant, what restrictions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

weqas1234

NY

are there on my life? will I be able to fly via plane?
Although there is no warrant, I've been told that there is something called an "investigation card" issued for me that notifies other officers of the same agency that I was investigated either as a suspect or a witness for a misdemeanor assault.

I talked to someone and they said that that card is just paperwork so that the agency can log the case, and that at this stage it's equivalent to an unsubstantiated complaint.

But I figured if it's in a computer somewhere, does that mean it might come up when trying to board a plane?

TigerD

There should be no restrictions. That said, it really depends on what you were investigated for. If it was terrorism, or anything remotely connected to terrorism - like double parking, you might experience anything from a heighten review from the TSA to being placed on the no-fly list.

Don't sweat it. They will let you know if you can't fly. Wear clean underwear and bring your own lube.

DC

dave33

NY

Although there is no warrant, I've been told that there is something called an "investigation card" issued for me that notifies other officers of the same agency that I was investigated either as a suspect or a witness for a misdemeanor assault.

I talked to someone and they said that that card is just paperwork so that the agency can log the case, and that at this stage it's equivalent to an unsubstantiated complaint.

But I figured if it's in a computer somewhere, does that mean it might come up when trying to board a plane?

This is a ridiculous concern. Forget about this bull and move on.

This will not come up when boarding a plane or any other time.

If someone made a complaint and the issue ended there than you have no problem. If a complaint was filed and a warrant was issued, that is another matter. goodluck.

weqas1234

This is a ridiculous concern. Forget about this bull and move on.

This will not come up when boarding a plane or any other time.

If someone made a complaint and the issue ended there than you have no problem. If a complaint was filed and a warrant was issued, that is another matter. goodluck.
thanks for answering
well a complaint was filed. as far as the county courthouse clerk can tell, there are no warrants associated with this case. it's been 4 months.
the only thing is, the investigation card I referred to in the OP, if another member of the same agency initiates a traffic stop, he will see it and will be instructed to detain & arrest if there's PC.

that's what causes the worry that this electronic notification is forwarded to other agencies and might cause problems at an airport. the d-tect also said you don't have to come in voluntarily, we can just meet you @ the airport. they then visited one more time (but not the same d-tect as the first week) 2 months later.

they asked someone related to both the complainant and suspect: "Does the complainant still have problems with the suspect?"
relative: no. actually they're both away. complainant is in europe
them: ok (they didn't ask where is the suspect, when are they coming back etc. they just said thanks and left).

knowing all of this, do you still think that this won't pose a problem until a warrant is issued and a court case is initiated?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
NY

Your 8th thread on this subject. WHY? Why can't you just listen and put everything together in ONE thread. You need to get serious mental help. You are ill.

For everyone else, read her posting history. And OP, don't worry about a warrant. They have your car bugged with a GPS unit and will locate you that way.

weqas1234

Your 8th thread on this subject. WHY? Why can't you just listen and put everything together in ONE thread. You need to get serious mental help. You are ill.

For everyone else, read her posting history. And OP, don't worry about a warrant. They have your car bugged with a GPS unit and will locate you that way.
these concerns are really serious.

I was browsing around and found this passage:

"Often seen in crimes involving Assault, Computer Crimes, Criminal Contempt and Aggravated Harassment, the tracks you leave behind can be used against you. IP information from a computer login may come back to your account. Further, emails, phone calls and texts may be from your respective accounts or preserved on a server. In another wrinkle, a video may reflect you attacking, lurking or damaging property even where the complainant does not corroborate or testify as to your actions."

and I was wondering how they'd do that if the suspect and the complainant never communicate at all, let alone electronically, and the suspect doesn't have a personal computer. doesn't that mean the only way to do it is to tap an email account or ask the ISP or the email provider?

these concerns are really serious.

I was browsing around and found this passage:

"Often seen in crimes involving Assault, Computer Crimes, Criminal Contempt and Aggravated Harassment, the tracks you leave behind can be used against you. IP information from a computer login may come back to your account. Further, emails, phone calls and texts may be from your respective accounts or preserved on a server. In another wrinkle, a video may reflect you attacking, lurking or damaging property even where the complainant does not corroborate or testify as to your actions."

and I was wondering how they'd do that if the suspect and the complainant never communicate at all, let alone electronically, and the suspect doesn't have a personal computer. doesn't that mean the only way to do it is to tap an email account or ask the ISP or the email provider?
You will prob. be arrested outside of a Subway, taken to a local jail, laughed at for your man-boobs, and get a sandwich snatched from you.

Or Not.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
if another member of the same agency initiates a traffic stop, he will see it and will be instructed to detain & arrest if there's PC.
I've never heard of this. During the thousands of hours I have carried and listened to an NYPD radio I have never heard of such a thing.

It's time for you to move on.

weqas1234

I've never heard of this. During the thousands of hours I have carried and listened to an NYPD radio I have never heard of such a thing.

It's time for you to move on.
thanks for the reply, but

I found this online

PURPOSE

To ensure that an investigator originating an INVESTIGATION CARD (PD373-163), commonly referred to as I-CARD, is notified when the individual named in INVESTIGATION CARD comes into contact with the police.
here: https://www.assembla.com/code/mobitek/subversion/nodes/NYPD/assets/nypd/7.txt?rev=115

it looks like it's separate from a warrant check.

a little farther down, it says

When an individual is not under arrest for an offense, the existence of an INVESTIGATION CARD identifying the individual as a "Suspect" or "Witness" is insufficient authority to arrest or involuntarily detain the individual.
, but I don't know which category applies in this case.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Neither. Forget about it.

Maybe the originating investigator gets notified but we do not out in the field. Enough already.

weqas1234

ok new development. posting this as a reply instead of a new thread to avoid ire.

recently one of family members filed another complaint (not against me). s/he was asked about me 2 months ago and nothing since. However, when they asked him/her about his/her new complaint, s/he was also asked "while you're here, where's weqas1234 from X months ago?"

the detective didn't initiate the inquiry.

is this a good sign that if they were monitoring my online footprint, they wouldn't need to ask? or bad that the case is still open, but not that bad because they're not actively pursuing it as a priority?

quincy

ok new development. posting this as a reply instead of a new thread to avoid ire.

recently one of family members filed another complaint (not against me). s/he was asked about me 2 months ago and nothing since. However, when they asked him/her about his/her new complaint, s/he was also asked "while you're here, where's weqas1234 from X months ago?"

the detective didn't initiate the inquiry.

is this a good sign that if they were monitoring my online footprint, they wouldn't need to ask? or bad that the case is still open, but not that bad because they're not actively pursuing it as a priority?
If this family member knows where you are and disclosed where you are, then I assume whoever is trying to track you down knows how to locate you - and, if I remember correctly from your other threads, "they" already know where you are anyway.

No one can tell you if this is bad or good, or if the police are monitoring your online activities or not (although it is doubtful). The best way to find this out, however, is to contact the police directly and ask.

Seriously, weqas, you are spending far too much time worrying about this. I suggest you do some volunteer work in your community - at a soup kitchen or ringing bells for the Salvation Army or something. Being of service to others in need is not only a positive way to occupy your time, it can help you get your mind off the mysterious situation with the police that has plagued you for so long.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">