• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speedy trial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jab4687

What is the name of your state? Texas
I was arrested on possession of a controlled substance. I served time in jail for a Misdemeanor and retained a lawyer and was released. After about a month went by I recieved a letter saying that there was a warrent for my arrest because the courts didn't file my felony until after my release. I called my lawyer and he told me not to worry about it he would take care of it. He said if I did get arrested that he would bail me out and fix this. Well sometime passed and I got pulled over and arrested. My lawyer never took care of it and then said I needed to pay him to bail me out. I did. Its been 8 months since the charges have been filed and my lawyer is not making things go anywhere. Is there supposed to be a time frame for a speedy trial? I was under the impression that by texas state law statutes art. 32A.02 (0) there is a 180 day law for criminal commencement of a criminal action if the defendant is accused. My lawyer wont even give me a bill for his fees just keeps telling me that I owe him money, and then I believe he is putting the things off for trial so that he can get money from me. He wont even tell me why I have to keep waiting or fill me in on the status of my court deals.
I am lost and broke now and don't know what to do in this situation.
Any advice would be great. Should I process something new in the courts? Retain new service? Im not sure. There is much more to this then what I have stated, I just briefed it up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">