• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State To State Extradition Policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kimyshele

What is the name of your state? Arizona, Navajo County.
My fiance was driving through Holbrook Arizona on Jan. 11th, and was pulled over for "following too close" :rolleyes:
The officers "ran" his name and found that he has a (non violent) 3rd Degree Felony warrant out of Jefferson County New York.
Arizona police arrested him, and are holding him while he awaits extradition to New York.
My questions are this: How long can Arizona legally (or what guidelines apply) hold him until New York "decides" whether they are going to pick him up or not?
The Arizona police dept. has messed up his extradition paperwork, and they are making my fiance wait MORE time, while they straighten it out! (An additional 7 days) Ugh.....
Originally, Arizona claimed they would hold him for "about" 30 days. But with every court hearing they have, they are hitting him with MORE time!
At this point they are telling us, that if New York doesn't pick him up by 3/3 then they will have another "status hearing" at that point.
Apparently, New York isn't all that interested in picking him up (He's been sitting in AZ jail now for 26 days!)
So, how long do you think Arizona will continue to hold him? :confused:

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks!

K

Kimyshele

::Update::

New York extradited him from Arizona today.

He is aboard either a plane, train or bus as I write this update.

I'm sure as this thing drags on, I'll have more questions along the way.

Thanks in advance for all of your help, advice and insight.

Regards,
Kimberly

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">