• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

state to state subpeona?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

notagoodday

What is the name of your state? NM
Can a state issue a subpeona for someone in another state? And what will happen if it's not honored?

FlyingRon

Courts issue subpeonas.
If you don't appear, and the court wants you, they issue a bench warrant for your arrest.

VeronicaLodge

yeah but I dont think a CA court has jurisdiction to sub a New York resident in New York???

what kind of subpeona is this? to appear? to produce documents?

Just Blue

yeah but I dont think a CA court has jurisdiction to sub a New York resident in New York???

what kind of subpeona is this? to appear? to produce documents?

Sure they do! And if a warrant is issued for failure to appear you can bet you bottom dollar that NY would honor it!

FlyingRon

About the only thing that does get stickier on state boundaries is getting civil subpoenas issued to out of state witnesses (in other than federal court). But even that can be done.

FlyingRon

Many state have reciprocal subpoena enforcement laws which make a subpoena from one state as enforceable as one in the reciprocal state.

A warrant however is pretty much valid everywhere.

notagoodday

What is the likelihood?

So what is the likelihood they will look for me to serve a subpeona? It's certainly not a murder case or anything. The person I would be testifying against has 3 3rd degree felony charges against them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">