• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State Trooper assigned to high school...student's rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Educated Fool

What is the name of your state? Delaware

My child's school will have a full time state trooper assigned as a resource officer.

I do not fully trust law enforcement and would like to know if I have the right to provide the school and the school district with documentation stating that my child has access to a lawyer and should not be interviewed for knowledge about or involvement with any criminal activity without legal or parental representation?

My child is a good child, but again, I do not fully trust law enforcement and want to know how I can protect my child's rights.

gawm

The best and only way to see what you want to happen is to instill it in your child's brain yourself. Simply teach him that if he did something wrong and is questioned by police or school officials that he is not to say anything without a lawyer present. Tell him to ask if he is free to leave and if not ask for an attorney before he will answer any questions.

On a side note, you shouldn't instill your distrust in police in your child. Try and present this more as a protecting your rights than a don't trust police. If your child grows up not trusting police officers I think that would be very unhealthy for him in the long run.

Just out of curiosity, what happened to you that makes you distrust police so much?

CdwJava

Educated Fool said:
My child's school will have a full time state trooper assigned as a resource officer.
Good. It's a wonderful program.

I do not fully trust law enforcement
Sorry for you. Perhaps your local law enforcement doesn't entirely trust you, either?

and would like to know if I have the right to provide the school and the school district with documentation stating that my child has access to a lawyer and should not be interviewed for knowledge about or involvement with any criminal activity without legal or parental representation?
You can provide whatever documentation you want to whomever you so wish. However, depending on state law, they may not have to adhere to this documentation since each incident is going to be based upon a unique set of circumstances. Unless your kid is a problem, the chances of him having to interact negatively with the SRO is slim to none.

My child is a good child, but again, I do not fully trust law enforcement and want to know how I can protect my child's rights.
Tell him to remain good, and to be polite to the police officer, and if questioned as a suspect remind him he has the right to remain silent.

However, that right to remain silent does NOT likely apply to the school's administrative matters so he might be compelled to provide a written statement or face discipline in an event that does not yet involve the police.

- Carl

Educated Fool

gawm said:
The best and only way to see what you want to happen is to instill it in your child's brain yourself. Simply teach him that if he did something wrong and is questioned by police or school officials that he is not to say anything without a lawyer present. Tell him to ask if he is free to leave and if not ask for an attorney before he will answer any questions.
Thanks for the advice.

On a side note, you shouldn't instill your distrust in police in your child. Try and present this more as a protecting your rights than a don't trust police. If your child grows up not trusting police officers I think that would be very unhealthy for him in the long run.
I have not deliberately instilled my distrust for the police in my children, but I have let them know that law enforcement officials are not their friends once they are no longer viewed as non-threatening.

My son has been told that he is never to directly aid someone in trouble on the street because he might be mistaken as the perpetrator and shot or killed by law enforcement. He ihas been told to avoid the situation and call 911

My brother is a police officer, and I have told my children that when he is wearing his uniform, they should not fully trust him either.

Just out of curiosity, what happened to you that makes you distrust police so much?
Despite being an educated, former Army officer who has never been in trouble with the law, I have had bad personal experiences with law enforcement throughout my life, and I believe that they no longer care about differentiating between those who respect the law and yhose who break it.

seniorjudge

Educated Fool said:
gawm said:
Thanks for the advice.

I have not deliberately instilled my distrust for the police in my children, but I have let them know that law enforcement officials are not their friends once they are no longer viewed as non-threatening.

My son has been told that he is never to directly aid someone in trouble on the street because he might be mistaken as the perpetrator and shot or killed by law enforcement. He ihas been told to avoid the situation and call 911

My brother is a police officer, and I have told my children that when he is wearing his uniform, they should not fully trust him either.

Despite being an educated, former Army officer who has never been in trouble with the law, I have had bad personal experiences with law enforcement throughout my life, and I believe that they no longer care about differentiating between those who respect the law and yhose who break it.

This is pretty sad....

CdwJava

Educated Fool said:
Fortunately your belief is not the truth of the matter.

I am truly sorry you hold such a bitter opinion.

- Carl

Educated Fool

seniorjudge said:
Educated Fool said:
gawm said:

This is pretty sad....
It may be sad, but unfortunately some people are viewed differently in our society, and this situation is a reality and this action is a necessity.

I wish that this teaching were not necessary, but to tell my son anything less would be irresponsible and possibly cause him his life.

Educated Fool

CdwJava said:
Fortunately your belief is not the truth of the matter.

I am truly sorry you hold such a bitter opinion.

- Carl
What is the truth of the matter? There is no truth, right, or wrong because this belief is based upon experience.

My opinion is not bitter but reality. This is the reality and belief of many people.

Maybe your experience is different than mine; therefore, you will never be able to fully understand how my belief was formed by experiences and not through brainwashing.

It would be nice to live your reality and be oblivious to the experiences of others in this society, but unfortunately, I can't and neither can my children.

Again, I don't need your pity. You should pity those who create this belief in certain segments of our society, and work towards a society where everyone can experience your belief.

BelizeBreeze

Educated Fool said:
What is the truth of the matter? There is no truth, right, or wrong because this belief is based upon experience.
Not only are you an UNEDUCATED FOOL, but a dangerous one to boot.

Your criminal past will cost your son dearly. :rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Educated Fool said:
It may be sad, but unfortunately some people are viewed differently in our society, and this situation is a reality and this action is a necessity.

I wish that this teaching were not necessary, but to tell my son anything less would be irresponsible and possibly cause him his life.
Are you trying to play the "race card"? If so, then you are continuing a cycle that you really should be working to stop.

HappyHusband

Educated Fool said:
Thanks for the advice.

You would hope that a police officer would be more cautious than that, but unfortunately an incident occured in Houston awhile back where, during a raid on a house by HPD or the Sheriff's Department, an elderly invalid person was shot in their bed by a LEO, for no reason at all.

My Pa taught me as a child to NEVER run out of any kind of store, especially a convenience store, because a passing cop may mistake me for a robber on the run and possibly try to shoot me.
Can you then imagine me, as a child, every time I left a store, peeking out the doors, making sure the coast was clear before I exited?:p
Curiously, I was never told NOT to wear my Casper the Friendly Ghost mask whenever I went to the corner store.
Hmm, go figure.

Last edited:

panzertanker

Educated Fool said:
So you telling your son to never trust a police officer, even your own brother, is NOT instilling YOUR distrust in your children???:confused:

Educated Fool said:
I would agree with that statement...for a situation where your son sees a guy in a black mask run out of a store and trip and fall. He should definitely NOT aid that person.
BUT, to not stop and help in a MVA, or other type injury "because you might be mistaken for the perpetrator" is definitively NOT an educated person's statement...rather just a fool's.

Educated Fool said:
Don't get along with law enforcement, OR your own family....hmmm. Seems like you need to do some serious reflection regarding your life.

Educated Fool said:
The same could be said about "former Army officers" also. With the caveat of "unable to differentiate between those who help uphold the law, and those who like to spread ignorance and "distrust".

Dude, is there a particular reason you are a "former" Army officer??? I believe I can already deduce the answer.....

ENortham

We had police officers at my high school and one of them actually became a close friend. I don't have a lot of faith in the police around my city but his top priority was keeping the students safe, not infringing on their rights. He wasn't dishonest or sneaky...he was protective. Schools can be crazy and dangerous places sometimes...would you feel better about this cop if he found a shotgun in someone's locker that they may have used to shoot your kid? Maybe you should meet the officer...maybe he's not as bad as the rest you've come in contact with. You're upset with law enforcement because they assume everyone can be a criminal, but you feel you're correct in assuming that all cops are bad cops...I just don't see the logic in that.:confused:

Last edited:

rdmiddle

Delaware High Schools

I'm in Delaware and I can tell you that if a State Trooper is posted to ANY public high school in New Castle County, you need to thank your lucky stars. Your child is in danger going to school without police presence, I assure you.

I work for one of the local school districts here and no matter what county you're in, there's situations that come up in high schools that require police action. Teaching your child to mistrust law enforcement officers is a big mistake. - You cannot assume that all police officers are crooked and do not deserve respect. Truthfully, the officers assigned to high schools like Christiana (which is likely the school you are referring to) have a good idea of how kids operate. If your child is as good as you believe, then you are denying your child the opportunity to have an invaluable resource if there's ever a real problem.

SaraJane

I graduated in 95 and for the 4 years that I was in high school we had 1 Police officer and about 3-4 security officers on duty at all times in our high school... and that was the "nicer" of the highschools in the city.

While I disliked the police officer for giving me parking tickets, and getting me in trouble for skipping school... but he saved my life at one point. The amount of security that we felt because of him was something that we were unappreciative of at the time, but looking back that 1 officer in our school made a huge difference in how students behaved, treated eachother, and ultimately how we were able to benefit from our teachers and peers, because we did not have to be in fear of "who would be there if something happened".

Though incidents happen when police officers may cause you to feel the way that you do, the enemy is not just the person with the badge, it's anyone at all. If you're too ignorant to see that then that's a horrible place to be.

While we've got teenagers using sniper guns to attack (and kill) innocent strangers driving on highways, and students shooting students, kids dealing drugs, etc... the fear of the trooper being a threat seems almost crazy to me.

While I still dont 'like' police, because they can issue me speeding tickets... im thankful for the job that they do, without them things could be much much worse than they are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">