• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statue of Limitations on speeding tickets?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tochsia

What is the name of your state? alabama
Ok. This is a question concerning speeding tickets.
I got a speeding tickcket in another state years ago, more than ten years ago. I was 17 years old, driving with one of my parents and an uncle. My father took the ticket and told me to not worry, he would pay it. Now I find out it was never paid.
Heres the kicker. I have been pulled over sense then, for one thing or another, and I assume I had my DL# ran, I have even got a CDL sense then. These tickets should have shown up yes? But no they have not. I have also been through state board tests and never had this show up. I even had a friend who worked as a police dispatcher, I ask if they would check for me, and nothing came up.
Do these go away in time?

seniorjudge

tochsia said:
What is the name of your state? alabama
Ok. This is a question concerning speeding tickets.
I got a speeding tickcket in another state years ago, more than ten years ago. I was 17 years old, driving with one of my parents and an uncle. My father took the ticket and told me to not worry, he would pay it. Now I find out it was never paid.
Heres the kicker. I have been pulled over sense then, for one thing or another, and I assume I had my DL# ran, I have even got a CDL sense then. These tickets should have shown up yes? But no they have not. I have also been through state board tests and never had this show up. I even had a friend who worked as a police dispatcher, I ask if they would check for me, and nothing came up.
Standard answer on statute of limitations:

There are thousands of posts similar to yours on this forum, so I have prepared a standard answer. Use what is helpful; disregard the rest.

The statutes on limitations is, among other things, a statute telling the government how long it has to file a criminal charge. It stops running the day the charge is filed.

This is not a game of tag where, if you can keep from getting caught, you are home free.

Some states and jurisdictions will pull old warrants after awhile; some states and jurisdictions keep warrants active forever.

My best advice: surrender.

Stand by for other opinions.

racer72

tochsia said:
Nope. One day when you least expect it, WHAM, you will be busted. There have been other threads in these forums from folks arrested many years after the fact. The only statute of limations is the time from when you are suspected then charged. In the case of a traffic ticket, this generally happens within minutes. When the ticket was not taken care of, a warrant was issued and there is not SOL on warrants. The electronic computer age is slowly catching up to a lot of folks now days and yours could be coming soon.

tochsia

Ok thanks for the fast advice.
After this and the other posts I have read here to day their seems to be only on course of action. Getan attorney from that state admit my wrong and pay up.
If only I had of known the darn thing was not paid earlyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">