• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statute of limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

realtime

What is the name of your state? GA. In 1998 I pled quilty to a felony drug charge and was put on probration. 10-98 had a DUI and made bond. 11-98 had another DUI and was incarcerated, then transportated to boot camp for violation of probation and was told I would be transported to my court hearing when it came up and I wasn't. I was taken from boot camp to the Co. jail to finish up my probation sentence and was then released. I have never been tried or convicted for the DUIs. I called the City Police to inquire about clearing up these tickets so that I may get my DL back and was told that they issued a bench warrant for my arrest while I was in boot camp for not showing up for court. Said they sent me a letter in 1999, while I was incarcerated to this effect, which I did not receive, as they mailed it to a relative's place of buisiness. They want me to have it put back on the court calender. If tickets were on deadfile and it has been 4 years, can they still try me? What should I do?

G

GKris

Yes they can, yes the warrants are still good and will never expire until you do, and call the DA tp play lets make a deal

R

realtime

I am indigent, in a homeless shelter, and have nothing. They said I would have to appear in court to ask for a court appointed attorney, which they do not have in this very small town. Should I just call the city police back and have them put it on the calender?

G

GKris

You have right to an attorney, if there is no public defender's office the court will order a private attorney to defend you and pay him/her. About putting it back on the docket, you have a reasonable excuse for missing court then but not for blowing it off for the past few years. To get the attorney or it dismissed it needs to be back in the system which means if you turn yourself in, it gets back on the docket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">