• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statute of limitations for crimes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

roberts a

I lived in the US for over 21 years. had a green card. lost it since I havent been in the US for many years. My father has us citizenship.

I am now 44 years old. when I lived in the US and 24 years old I broke into a car stole some belongings including a wallet with CC which I later used. I was caught, brought to court and there was a verdict. problem is I ran and I guess the word would be fugitive. it was my stupid years. Im glad I left because at that time I had no direction in life. my father worked in the day and I worked at night and I was pretty much alone and I started doing stupid things. I would wind up sitting in jail voer and over.

I lived with my dad there. when I was in court I had asked the judge if I can leave for a 2 month summer vacation to see my family overseas. he said yes and when I came back Id have to serve my sentence. it was 4 x 24 hour days in jail, once a aweek (for 4 weeks) and 2 years probabtion.

I ran because I was extremely scared to go to jail..seeing movies and the rape idea in my mind. I went to visit my family overseas with the mindset of see and then decide if I was going to stay. I hadnt seen my family for 6 years. I just lived with my dad in NY and I was separated from my mom and brothers from age 10. I would visit them every 4-6 years.

today my father lives in the us still. hes sick. my inquiry is regarding visiting him, not living there. Im married and stable living here (not the US)

court was in white plains. felony charge.

so bottom line. is there an expiration on something like this or is there interest building up, where the original serving of 4 days becomes 4 years if I were to show up in the US?

thank you in advance

FlyingRon

Statute of limitations applies for the time between when you commit the crime and when prosecution can commence. There's no amount of time you can be a fugitive that will make the sentence and the underlying crime go away.

I'm sorry for your father, but your chances of even being granted a visa (save for a special one so you can go to jail), are slim. If this is going to be done you need both an immigration lawyer to deal with your admissibility issues and a criminal lawyer who can work on an orderly surrender and dealing with your sentence. Since you absconded from probation, you can expect that you're facing more than just four days in jail at this point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">