• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statute of limitations/non extradition countries

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michellegoaz

What is the name of your state? AZ

Long story short...
I have a 4 year old sister who is in the middle of a custody battle between my mother and my stepfather. My mother is an alcoholic who cannot stay sober for five minutes. My stepfather is an alcoholic who can but is a child pervie, wife beating, (and seems as though he would be a child beater as well if given the opportunity) dumb jerk. The court is currently leaning towards my stepfather in the custody case mostly due to the fact that my mother can't stay sober and also because my stepfather's parents have gobbs of money and have hired an attorney whereas my mother has not.
The way I see it is no matter how this case turns out my sister is screwed. I have been working three jobs saving money and I am seriously considering taking my sister and running to another country with her, to save her from the life of hell it seems that she is destined to.
My question is; what countries are non extradition countries, and how long is the statute of limitations for kidnapping. I speak limited spanish, and it wouldn't take me long to learn any of the similar languages with english cognates. Any help would be greatly appreciated by my sister and I.

CdwJava

The SOL would cease to toll once you left the jurisdiction. In other words, oyu could be charged whenever you returned. Plus, they could easily issue a warrant for your arrest long before any SOL might toll and the warrant - and thus, the charges - would remain FOREVER!!!

And when you accuse stepdad of being "a pervie" I have to roll my eyes. Child abuse or molestation is about as common an allegation in custody battles as the sun coming up the next day.

- Carl

Isn't Costa Rica on of the few remaining civilized countries without any extradition treaties with the US? I thought I heard somewhere a couple of years ago that this was changing and that they were going to allow extraditions. Does anyone know anymore on this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">