• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations for Theft by Deception

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Monimab

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Kentucky

I am wondering if anyone can give me a definate answer as to the statute of limitations when it comes to KRS 514.040 or theft by deception. I have found two different sources that give one year of the date of the check being written and up to 5 years for civil prosecution. Which all checks were under $300 dollars and a class A misdemeanor under Kentucky law.
The reason I ask is because my mother-in-law was nice enough to get a hold of 2 books of checks on a closed account and go on a shopping spree in like 4 different counties. I was arrested in January and the charges were dismissed once she forked over the cash on my behalf. I really don't want to have to send her to jail but I think there are more checks out there and they're just aren't showing up on checks. I know they weren't on my background check in October but showed up in January and the checks were written almost a year prior, which I am assuming is the reason why they jumped on the arrest since it was near the year deadline. If anyone can give me any advice or insight I would appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">