• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statutory Rape in NC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lab_jewel1

What is the name of your state? North Carolina.
I have a friend that was arrested after going in for questioning for 4 counts of statutory rape. they have been in jail now for almost 30 days and the bond is set at $225K.
What are the chances of them getting the bail reduced to $50K or less?
Is it possible to get house arrest and do you still have to post bond, what is house arrest exactly?
As I understand the law, is doesn't matter if it was consentual, because of the age 15 (turned 16 a few days later) and 29, correct?
If bond cannot be posted, what happens, do they stay in jail for much longer, who can help?
Also, the gal was working in South Carolina at the time, can you be 15 and work?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

H

Hugo Chavez

Well, he can go for a bail reduction hearing. I don't think he'll get house arrest.
Anyway, too bad the guy wasn't married to the girl, since in some states (until very recently), one could marry at the age of 14 or 15 with parental consent.
Since he is not married to her, this presents a real problem.

Age of consent varies from state to state.

Statutory rape laws were largely enacted to prevent forced prostitution.

Shay-Pari'e

Hugo Chavez said:
Well, he can go for a bail reduction hearing. I don't think he'll get house arrest.
Anyway, too bad the guy wasn't married to the girl, since in some states (until very recently), one could marry at the age of 14 or 15 with parental consent.
Since he is not married to her, this presents a real problem.

Age of consent varies from state to state.

Statutory rape laws were largely enacted to prevent forced prostitution.
How do you come to this conclusion? Would you please state statutes supporting this horrific answer?

L

Lorelei

This caught my attention so I did some searching and this is what I found.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/topics/Table_Marriage.htm

Although I DO hope parents aren't crazy enough to allow their child to marry at such a young age.
Gee and here I was thinking maybe back in the early 1900's you were considered an old maid if you werent married by 14! Sheesh

Ummonx

actually strangely enough, according to a legal decision I found looking up another matter. (I cant find the link so dont ask). Being above the state age to marry but below the age of consent is actually a valid defense.

L

lab_jewel1

So if he was to marry her and now she is 16, that still wouldn't work because she needs parental consent, based off of that website. Why do you think he couldn't get house arrest? Someone did mention to me that all of this would go away if he just married her but it doesn't seem that easy. This gal has since left the state to live with her dad. There has got to be a way to get him out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">