• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chaquita123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois. I was detained by police and while in custody my car was stolen from their lot....what can i do?

chaquita123

of Course

of course but the reason i was in custody was for improper display of registration, and no insurance...once i was released i got insurance and correct registration to get the car from the impound lot and i was told the car was never
brought in from there i went back to the police station and was told the tow truck driver said my car was not there when he came to tow it to the impound. arent the police responsible for my car once they took it from me?

Antigone*

of course but the reason i was in custody was for improper display of registration, and no insurance...once i was released i got insurance and correct registration to get the car from the impound lot and i was told the car was never
brought in from there i went back to the police station and was told the tow truck driver said my car was not there when he came to tow it to the impound. arent the police responsible for my car once they took it from me?
You mean the car was disappeared from the street, it was never towed to the yard?

Why on earth would the police be responsible for that?:confused: Had it not been for your improper display of registration, lack of insurance, and whatever else they had on you, they would have never pulled you over.

This is your fault. See, if you had been insured you might have been able to file a claim.

CdwJava

If the police arrested you and did not wait to turn the car over to the tow company, yet had called for the car to be impounded because of the arrest, the police department could be on the hook for this. But, the loss may well be an issue between the insurance company and the city, not you and the city.

if you are out other property not compensated by your insurer, you might consider a small claims action against the city if they reject your initial claim for compensation.

cyjeff

If the police arrested you and did not wait to turn the car over to the tow company, yet had called for the car to be impounded because of the arrest, the police department could be on the hook for this. But, the loss may well be an issue between the insurance company and the city, not you and the city.

if you are out other property not compensated by your insurer, you might consider a small claims action against the city if they reject your initial claim for compensation.
Carl, the reason he was arrested was a lack of insurance.

CdwJava

Carl, the reason he was arrested was a lack of insurance.
I know he SAID that, but I can't see where that is a custodial offense even in IL. I wonder what else he might have been arrested for.

No matter what he was arrested for, and even if he has no insurance on the car at the time of the theft, he will still have to go through the claims process. If not through his insurer, then he will have to make a claim and file the matter in small claims or superior court himself (and I was confused as when you asked if he had reported it to the police and his insurer he replied, "of course."

It just makes it a little harder for him to make the claim, now. It also depends on what else transpired. if the officers are required, per policy and/or law, to wait for the tow, then they might be liable. if it is clear that they do NOT have to wait, then they may not ... though I would hope if they cleared before the tow that they properly secured the vehicle. if not, then they could be toast. And THAT is why we tend to impound many cars that are taken from people who are arrested. Either that, or some agencies I know of will have the drivers who are arrested sign a form indicating that they wanted to leave the car at the scene and that they assume any and all liability for the vehicle if it is taken or damaged.

I suspect the city will not automatically pay the claim and will make him threaten to go to court ... or, actually GO to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">