• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Laptop, IP address and Police

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChrisMiller1938

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

This past weekend I had numerous items stolen from me. An mp3 player, a check was stolen and cashed, some loose cash laying around. Also stolen was my very expensive laptop computer. It contains school documents, pictures, banking information and other personal. Some of these items can never be replaced if not recovered and there is a possibilty of identity theft with all of my information being on there, especially my banking info.

I have a program on my computer that is reporting back to me the IP addresses of the person that is using my stolen computer. I contacted my local city police and they took a report. The cops are basically telling me they can't do anything about it because they are overworked. I found out the IP address belongs to Verizon. Verizon says it is their IP address. They won't give me any information about what customer that IP address belongs to without a subpoena.

Can I sue the police dept. or city to have them issue a subpoena to Verizon so I can find out who/where my stolen laptop is? Can I somehow go around the police to get a subpoena to have Verizon tell me or a lawyer who the IP address belongs to? What can I do when the cops are refusing to help me?

Can I sue the police for refusing to help to help me in this matter. It has been a nightmare. The officer investigating the case won't return my calls at all. This whole ordeal is a tough situation on me mentally.

P.S. I have been keeping date and time logs of the IP addresses.

:confused:

Thomas Howard

you might consider contacting the media. if the local news ran
the story something would get done quick.
the police not doing there job seems like a story they might
jump on.

JETX

you might consider contacting the media. if the local news ran
the story something would get done quick.
the police not doing there job seems like a story they might
jump on.
Ignore this stupidity.
First, this isn't a story.
Second, if they did report it, the first thing the thief would do is to dump your computer into the ocean.... or would reformat it destroying your ability to track it.

JETX

Can I sue the police for refusing to help to help me in this matter. It has been a nightmare. The officer investigating the case won't return my calls at all. This whole ordeal is a tough situation on me mentally.
First, you can sue the police/city/county (as anyone can sue almost anyone else claiming almost anything); however, your suit would very quickly be dismissed as it is 'without merit'. Officers who are NOT in violation of the law are immune in claims like this.

You can certainly contact a local attorney who, in the extreme, could file a 'John Doe' case and thereby get subpoena power over Verizon. That could help you in a CIVIL claim, but won't do much on a criminal charge.

Investigations may not run at the speed (or direction) you want, but do NOT 'harass' the officer with 10 phone calls a day requesting 'updates'. If you really TRULY believe the officer/detective is dragging on the case (it does happen), GO DOWN to the station and ask for his supervisor. Discuss your concerns in a MATURE and RATIONAL manner and ask for his assistance.

CdwJava

To add to JETX's advice, it is important to note that the level and quality of service is a political decision, no a legal one. There is no legal requirement for the police to investigate most any crime, much less a requirement to aggressively pursue one. With the exception of certain sex crimes, domestic violence offenses, elder abuse, and a couple of others, there is likely no law requiring law enforcement to even take a report for most crimes.

So, while it might be frustrating for you, all you can do is what JETX suggested. Ask to speak with the investigator in charge of your case and offer whatever help you can. If you get no satisfaction, move up the food chain at the agency. In the end, depending on the value of this computer and its contents to you, it might be worth while for you to seek legal counsel as suggested and seek your own subpoena.

- Carl

JETX

Or, make a John Doe suit for conversion and get a subpoena.
'
Though conversion is a form of 'theft', it is NOT conversion if it was stolen by someone unknown (as in this case).

conversion
n. a civil wrong (tort) in which one converts another's property to his/her own use, which is a fancy way of saying "steals." Conversion includes treating another's goods as one's own, holding onto such property which accidentally comes into the convertor's (taker's) hands, or purposely giving the impression the assets belong to him/her. This gives the true owner the right to sue for his/her own property or the value and loss of use of it.

tranquility

What are you talking about? Of course you can sue for conversion if you don't know who did it. That's why the John Doe lawsuit. If someone has the info you need, you file the lawsuit and send subpoenas. It's the same thing on internet defamation. Why do you think conversion is different from any other tort?

JETX

What are you talking about? Of course you can sue for conversion if you don't know who did it. That's why the John Doe lawsuit. If someone has the info you need, you file the lawsuit and send subpoenas. It's the same thing on internet defamation. Why do you think conversion is different from any other tort?
That is NOT the error in your post. Guess you can't read where I tried to help you to understand what 'conversion' is.

In order for conversion to occur... the owner of the property KNOWS or suspects who has it and that person is "treating another's goods as one's own, holding onto such property which accidentally comes into the convertor's (taker's) hands, or purposely giving the impression the assets belong to him/her"....
Simply the person is CONVERTING the use or ownership of the property from the true owner.

xylene

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

This past weekend I had numerous items stolen from me. An mp3 player, a check was stolen and cashed, some loose cash laying around. Also stolen was my very expensive laptop computer. It contains school documents, pictures, banking information and other personal. Some of these items can never be replaced if not recovered and there is a possibilty of identity theft with all of my information being on there, especially my banking info.
Please elaborate on these circumstances

They may have A LOT to do with the police being too busy.

If your computer is THAT expensive

1. You should have insurance.

2. You could hire a private detective with experience in recovery.

tranquility

I've reread the post twice and am still not understanding the error.

Are you claiming that a person in possession of stolen property cannot be sued for conversion because he did not appropriate the property?

Only if you know the person who converted the property can you initiate a suit for conversion?

That the possessor is a bonafide purchaser for value and the chain of ownership is broken?

Go ahead and use legal words that make some sense. I'll try to keep up. Maybe give the issue and the rule so there can be a discussion and not a guessing game.

You Are Guilty

I've reread the post twice and am still not understanding the error.

Are you claiming that a person in possession of stolen property cannot be sued for conversion because he did not appropriate the property?

Only if you know the person who converted the property can you initiate a suit for conversion?

That the possessor is a bonafide purchaser for value and the chain of ownership is broken?

Go ahead and use legal words that make some sense. I'll try to keep up. Maybe give the issue and the rule so there can be a discussion and not a guessing game.
I think he means choice "B"? (Not that I agree).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">