• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stolen phone, probable cause?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onChief

IL

Hello, recently my cell phone was stolen out of my locker. I had an idea of who stole it because it fell out of my pocket before I put into my locker and that person was the only one who seen me drop it and also his locker is right beside mine. which would give him a good vantage point to watch my combination. The next day when I went back to the locker room he was not there. A day later on 11/20/09 the gym locker supervisor told me that he came back and reported the same phone stolen. We then went to the dean which I reported it to also, she said that the guy I suspected had my phone reported it after I did. So what I'm going to on Monday is have the dean, call the kids parents and ask them about if they know if their son reported a stolen phone. When they say no will this give me probable cause to have him questioned and get my phone back?

And also I think it is highly stupid to report the SAME phone stolen why would he do that?

CdwJava

Maybe someone else stole both phones. How would it benefit HIM to report YOUR phone stolen? It's not like he would receive a cash award for reporting a phone stolen that he had, himself, stolen.

Have you made a report to the police, yet? If not, you might consider doing so.

And the police - or the dead - do not need "probable cause" to talk to anyone. probable cause is required to seek a search warrant or conduct a warrantless search with exigent circumstances, or, to make an arrest. But anyone can TALK to anyone else for whatever reason they wish. The police and the dean cannot really force the other kid to say anything, but they can try and talk to him.

onChief

Yea, he might have actually got it stolen again, or he could be just trying to cover himself to make it seem like he isn't the thief.

But this is beside the point, he filed a report on the same phone, which I know he doesn't have because someone told me that he had a blackjack cell phone and then out of nowhere he showed them an iphone. His parents should be able to verify that he does not have an iphone. By doing this would lead directly to him as the thief.:D right?

and yes I have filed a police report.

CdwJava

His parents may verify that they did not know he had an iPhone, but that does not prove he did NOT have one, or that the one he DID have was yours. It might infer such a thing, but it doesn't prove it.

Pass the info to the police and let them talk to him and put the pieces together.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">