• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flyboynm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NM

I recently had a HP Touchpad stolen from me (it is like an ipad). I filed a police report. A friend of mine thinks he saw an ad on Craigslist for the stolen property. The person wants all contact to be done via craigslist email. If I meet with the person to "buy" it and see it is the one that was stolen, how should I handle it? Show them a copy of the police report and tell them you want it back or call the police or ???

flyboynm

Forgot to mention why they think it is mine - I had a couple of marks on my Touchpad (done on purpose) and the one for sell has some that look like the one that is being sold - picture is not that good so I cannot be positive.

HomeGuru

Tell them you want it buy it and need the serial # to reference on your check or Paypal account. Of course, if you did not keep that information, then this plan will not work.
Did you ask where the person got the device from?

flyboynm

Yes, I asked but they broke off all contact with me once I asked them how they got it and for the serial #. I setup another account to email them and see if they will respond. I do have the serial # and I have a police report showing it stolen.

dave33

Yes, I asked but they broke off all contact with me once I asked them how they got it and for the serial #. I setup another account to email them and see if they will respond. I do have the serial # and I have a police report showing it stolen.
If it is stolen, put yourself in the other persons position. You should not have asked for a #, now they are suspicious and you will be lucky if the item is still for sale. The only way is to buy the item. If it is the stolen item than you can take the item and the report to the police and explain the situation. This time you should not talk to the person yourself if you did so the first time. goodluck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">