• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen property not reported stolen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

out for blood..

What is the name of your state?
State - Louisiana

I'll try to make a long story short while giving necessary information...
I was contacted by a deputy yesterday stating that during a recent drug raid a handheld communications radio (which was property of my previous employer) was seized. The person arrested was a previous employer of my son, who on several occasions had picked up or dropped off my son at my station (I'm an EMT), which is left unlocked most of the time. This person had told police that he had gotten the radio from my son who had gotten it from me. My previous employer (whom I quit and went to competition) had filed a complaint (which if pursued will be a felony) after being contacted. He didn't know it was missing (approx. 4 mo) and had not reported it stolen. I spoke with my son and believe he had nothing to do with this. He has never been in trouble, he's 21 is married and has a 10 month little girl. We are well known in our small town and have a good family name. As my son said, he would never do anything to cause me to loose my EMT license, he worked and helped me go back to school after my divorce. I definitely would not jeopardize it, especially over a handheld radio.

Several questions:
Is it likely the DA could press charges based on this information?
Would it be wise to offer to take a polygraph for me & my son?
Could my previous employer pursue anything even if the DA decides not to?
Also my previous employer has told other employees of this, do I have grounds for defamation?
If the radio was not reported stolen, can they still charge anyone?

ptlmejo

Is it likely the DA could press charges based on this information?
Could, but I doubt if it were an honest mistake. I'm not certain how the LA statue reads, but generally theft includes intentionally taking.

Would it be wise to offer to take a polygraph for me & my son?
I think it would be a waste of time.

Could my previous employer pursue anything even if the DA decides not to?
Civilly if he chose to sue for damages, however, I'm not sure what damages he would sue for seeing as his property was returned.
Also my previous employer has told other employees of this, do I have grounds for defamation?
Do you really want to go down that road? I would say no because if he's merely stating that you had posession of a radio that wasn't yours...
If the radio was not reported stolen, can they still charge anyone?
Sure, reported stolen after the fact happens all the time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">