• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stolen property while legally seperated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vcpirate99

What is the name of your state TN

Ok, last year i went through a nasty divorce. after legal seperation, but before the actual divorce court my ex and her best friend broke into my storage unit and stole some of my things. she told me that she was going to do it. i went and bought a new lock for my storage and went to the property. they had taken several items before i had gotten there. i put the new lock on as quick as i could. they then took off before i could even think about calling the police. prior to this day, a co-worker of mine helped me put all my property into my storage. so he knew most of what was in my storage. i dont know why, but i didnt call the police because i technically couldnt since we were still married. i had planned on trying to get the items back through the divorce proceedings. well that took a wrong turn right off the bat. the judge who was presiding is an out in the open lesbian and didnt want to hear anything i had to say about the theft. so she denied my claim to any of the items taken out of the storage. after the divorce proceedings were over i filed an appeal with the state. my appeal was denied since it was post legal seperation, and all that the divorce proceedings could cover is anything from the moment of "i do" until the legal seperation date. so my question is, is there a statue of limitations on filing a police report for stolen property? luckily, the same co-worker who helped me put my property into the storage, his g/f lived in an apt below my ex with her new husband(yes she got married the day after the divorce was final). and he saw some of the items that he had helped me with just a few months prior. so, i can prove that she has the property illegally with his testimony, but i cant prove other than my word against hers that her and her friend stole the property. now, some of the items that she stole, she has since lost to her being repossessed. i know this because she used my name as a reference in trying to go to a buy here pay here lot. the owner of the lot called me for 6 days straight after she fell 4 months behind trying to get his money. when he finally got her car, he told me he found 7 baseball card albums in the car. he then told me that he wouldnt release them without me paying the tow bill or a court order. since the tow bill was $300 and i didnt have the money i thought that i would go for the court order. can i still get my property back if i file a police report 1yr later? and yes i have receipts for most of the property. and as for the sports card albums, she never once collected anything like that in her life. now, if i needed i could have my dad go to court with me, since he was the one who helped me amass my collection. so he knows what binders he bought and what specific collections i had that this car lot owner now has.

now, already i had to file charges against her last year because she didnt like how we were getting along verbally and came after me at a gas station in town. she was charged with domestic assault, but the DA gave her a suspended sentence when i asked him not to make a plea. now since there were 7 sports card albums(2 that were full sets from the year 1991 from 2 different sports) the est. value would easily be over $1000, wouldnt this be considered "grand theft?" what are the chances of the DA giving her another plea? is there anyway that i could force the DA to not take a plea and go to trial? i dont want her to get out scot free. she needs to learn her lesson.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">