• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stopped in car, can I refuse to exit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

random2005

What is the name of your state? Ohio.

I've searched the net, the FAQs here, and the forums messages but havent found the answer to this question. If stopped in a vehicle for lets say a minor traffic violation, and the officer asks me to exit the vehicle, do I have the right to refuse?

On the same note, if an officer comes to my front door at home and asks me to "step outside for a moment" can I also refuse?

calatty

No, you don't have the right to refuse to step out of your car. It is justified by officer safety. As to your home, it depends why the officer is at the door asking you to step out.

racer72

Yep, you can refuse in both cases. Of course, he then has the right to arrest you for not complying with the orders of a police officer.

CdwJava

I concur ... the car is pretty much going to be a no-brainer and you will likely have to exit or face arrest. You might be able to refuse a request to "step outside", but if you fail to do so and the officer has sufficient cause, he might MAKE you step outside.

- Carl

NOTGUILTYLEARCH

in Meeechigan

You may not refuse to do anything he requests you to do,however, if there is no probable cause, you can refuse search in most states. If you let him search it is open season!! if you refuse to get out he WILL use the spray and perhaps a rap or two in the head with the nightstick,oh,did I mention the broken window on the car since you refused to get out? see dick refuse...see dick get a rodney king style beatin'

random2005

thank you all for your replies. I was just curious about this - I was thinking along the lines that a car is (semi)private property, and maybe a person had the right to refuse to exit. Thanks for setting me straight.

JarMow

Just circumvent the issue altogether.

Why deal with something so asinine? Who has time for archaic laws and procedures? Carl can help with this one, but it probably wouldn't be such a bad idea to just quickly start the car and stomp the gas. Make the first turn and bail. Look for a place in a backyard to "lay low" until the police leave. Oh yeah, and watch out if they bring the dogs. If this happens, either run opposite direction immediately on sight of said dogs, or stand your ground and shout commands at it in German and hope for luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">