• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Strange Letter from PA Police Dept.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlw1018

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hi everyone. I got a letter from The State College Police Dept. last week saturday. It said that my car was involved in an incident resulting in damaged property on April 22, and if there was no response to the letter, criminal charges would be brought up. What I found odd was that the letter never stated where the incident happened, who was involved, or what happened. On date stated in the letter, I was at a party and my car was parked in a parking deck. At the time of the alleged "incident" (2:23am), I went to the deck, paid the meter, got my car, and went home. I never hit anything, I didn't get pulled over, I didn't get a ticket....NOTHING HAPPENED! My dad called the officer on the letter (since the letter was addressed to him and the car is in his name) and left a message, but she never got back to him. Has anyone ever got a letter like this? If so, what happened. What should I do?

Last edited:

Fl_renter

On date stated in the letter, I was at a party and my car was parked in a parking deck. At the time of the alleged "incident" (2:23am), I went to the deck, paid the meter, got my car, and went home.
Were you drinking alcohol at this party? Did you drive after having alcohol, whether or not you thought you were drunk?

impulse

Hey, I just finished up at PSU so I figured I'd offer you my advice, I'm assuming you parked in a downtown garage since you said you had to pay the meter. My assumption would just be that this was a mistake by the police. My girlfriend parked in one of the on campus lots after hours when anyone is allowed to park there and she received a ticket, but the ticket was marked for a incorrect time, something like 3 or 4 AM and it happen around 9 PM. I know downtown is under different jurisdiction, but it is most likely just a mistake if you indeed were not driving at that time. I would say just call the police and find out what the issue was before you stress yourself out.

outonbail

I'm in California but roughly eight years ago I received a letter from the California Department of Motor Vehicles, very similar in content, to the one you received.

It stated something to the effect of they were informed that on such and such a date, my vehicle was involved in a collision that may have resulted in property damage, serious injury or even death! They wanted me to reply immediately with my insurance information and a statement concerning the collision. If I failed to do so I may be facing criminal prosecution and my driving privileges would be revoked.

Now I hadn't been in any collision at all so needless to say I was rather disturbed by the fact that I was being accused of possibly killing someone. The letter did not provide the location of the alleged collision, the time, who else was involved, who was at fault or how they were informed of the fact that I was supposedly involved.

What disturbed me the most about this letter, was that at the time, I had absolutely no negative marks on my driving record at all. I hadn't received as much as a parking ticket for about fifteen years prior to this incident and to this day I have never been in an accident.

I called the investigator who had signed the letter and was fortunate enough to have actually gotten a hold of him on my first try. I was a bit angry at the whole situation and made him aware of it. But what it came down to was that someone had given the DMV the license plate number that was assigned to my vehicle and claimed I had ran into their parked car, causing a couple a thousand dollars in damages. Since my vehicle was only a year or two old at the time and didn't even have as much as a scratch on it, I invited him and anyone else who thought my vehicle was involved in this accident, to come inspect my vehicle so they could see for themselves that it had never been involved in any collision at any time.

He told me that sending the letter was basically a standard part of their investigation procedure whenever they are notified of someone being involved in an accident who then fled the scene. He told me that he would contact the accusing party and request whatever proof they had that it was my vehicle that caused their damage.

Anyway, I followed this phone conversation up with a letter and said basically the same thing I had told him over the phone. Then I sent it certified mail. I didn't want to end up in one of those situations where they say, "We never heard from you concerning this issue", which is why I decided to send the letter certified mail. This way I had proof of responding to their letter.

Anyway, about a month or so later, I received another letter apologizing for the mistake and saying something about someone copying down the license plate number wrong and that they have located the actual party involved in the accident and that there would be nothing included on my record concerning this incident at all, which I was glad to hear since I didn't even want anything stating I was being investigated for a hit and run.

So, contact them by phone and dispute the claim, write a follow up letter stating your position and invite them to inspect you're vehicle to see if there is any damage that would be consistent with the damage to the vehicle that you are being accused of running into.

If there isn't and you're sure you didn't hit someone in the parking lot, then you have nothing to worry about, as long as you follow through and contact them. It will ultimately be the party accusing you, who will have the burden of proving you caused their damages. Just don't ignore the letter and you should have no problem. Someone was just mistaken when they thought you ran into their car, or they took down the license number wrong,,, maybe they were drinking?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">