• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subpoena Served on Short Notice: Do I have to appear?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abercrombie

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I was just served a subpoena to appear to give a deposition in an attorney's office in a matter where one party is sueing a corporation I worked for 2 years ago. The plaintiff's attorney called me 2 days ago and asked me to give a deposition. I told him I didn't mind at all but that I have non-refundable plane tickets for a trip this week and suggested alternative dates.

He's ignored that and the deposition date is 3 days from now.

This seems unreasonable - must I appear at his office and cancel my plans and forfeit my ticket? Can I simply send him a polite overnight letter that I am unavailable on that date and suggest an alternative?

I'm guessing that any hint that my memory might be very foggy on that day might be cause for contempt. I feel as if I'm being intimidated and ironically I suspect my testimony would be beneficial to the plaintiff.....

abercrombie

Addendum: You are invited....

I failed to include in the original post: the last line on the Notice of Deposition is "You are invited to attend and participate as you deem appropriate".

What the heck does that mean?

Thank you

CdwJava

You need to call the attorney on Monday and explain the situation - that you will be out of town on the date of deposition. I doubt they are going to seek a contempt of court citation for you if you honestly cannot make it due to prior plans.

I am not sure of GA law, but this may not have the full force of a court order, either.

Maybe someone else here will be more familiar with GA law on this matter.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">