• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subpoena without service over state lines ..LEGAL??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

timmerf

California
I was a witness to portions of a crime in Nevada, I called 911 and gave them the license plate of the car I thought was involved .I also mentioned that I wanted to keep anonymous and didn't want to get involved as I thought I was calling secret witness. THe D.A. called me a few weeks later and told me that they were subpoenaing me by phone and had a subpoena to come testify. I told them I didnt live in Nevada as I lived in California. The DA said they would not use there right to cross state lines and use the UNIFORM ACT. But they have since sent by mail a subpoena without notice of service, again with what I believe is intimidation to try and get me to voluntarily drive to NEVADA and give up the time and costs for their court cases.
The Nevada rules state " .. they must/.." take reasonable steps to avoid imposing undue burden or expense". Although I have told them of my health issues and expense burdens, I want to know if their actions to send phone subpoenas and unofficial mailings with threat of contempt makes them guilty of malpractice?..DO I need to go? I will when they do what is required by law , both in procedures and Pay/transportation etc.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
California
I was a witness to portions of a crime in Nevada, I called 911 and gave them the license plate of the car I thought was involved .I also mentioned that I wanted to keep anonymous and didn't want to get involved as I thought I was calling secret witness. THe D.A. called me a few weeks later and told me that they were subpoenaing me by phone and had a subpoena to come testify. I told them I didnt live in Nevada as I lived in California. The DA said they would not use there right to cross state lines and use the UNIFORM ACT. But they have since sent by mail a subpoena without notice of service, again with what I believe is intimidation to try and get me to voluntarily drive to NEVADA and give up the time and costs for their court cases.
The Nevada rules state " .. they must/.." take reasonable steps to avoid imposing undue burden or expense". Although I have told them of my health issues and expense burdens, I want to know if their actions to send phone subpoenas and unofficial mailings with threat of contempt makes them guilty of malpractice?..DO I need to go? I will when they do what is required by law , both in procedures and Pay/transportation etc.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What makes you think they cannot mail a subpoena and properly serve that way?
How is this undue burden or expense? I do not see malpractice. And if you know what they need to do and want to take that risk, go for it. Don't be surprised though if it backfires.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">