• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sue for excessive force/wrongful arrest???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BigMike74

What is the name of your state? IL

A friend of mine was at a nightclub in Sauget, Il while he was on leave from the Air Force. Him and another friend were asked to leave the club, and on their way out, they were confronted by Sauget officers. The guy from the AF said something smart to the cop(s) to the effect of, "you come home from the military and this is how you get treated?" The cops then arrested him for criminal trespass, and struck him several times with a nightstick, giving him a swollen bottom lip and other marks. The ticket says nothing about resisting or being intoxicated, so why would he get hit? Should my friend sue Sauget for assault/battery, excessive force? He has already had a lawyer contact the city of Sauget and the case against my friend has been thrown out.

BelizeBreeze

BigMike74 said:
What is the name of your state? IL

A friend of mine was at a nightclub in Sauget, Il while he was on leave from the Air Force. Him and another friend were asked to leave the club, and on their way out, they were confronted by Sauget officers. The guy from the AF said something smart to the cop(s) to the effect of, "you come home from the military and this is how you get treated?" The cops then arrested him for criminal trespass, and struck him several times with a nightstick, giving him a swollen bottom lip and other marks. The ticket says nothing about resisting or being intoxicated, so why would he get hit? Should my friend sue Sauget for assault/battery, excessive force? He has already had a lawyer contact the city of Sauget and the case against my friend has been thrown out.
Why would the ticket not say 'resisting'?
Your friend probably got a break.

Next time tell him to smart off on the field of battle. Then see how far he'll get. :rolleyes:

acmb05

Or

BelizeBreeze said:
Why would the ticket not say 'resisting'?
Your friend probably got a break.

Next time tell him to smart off on the field of battle. Then see how far he'll get. :rolleyes:
The cops know they were wrong. Does your friend have pictures of his inuries? Get a copy of his arrest report there will be a booking pic in it.

Regardles if the guy said this to the officers that is not a reason for them to strike him.

Of course we dont know the other side either. he could have been told he was under arrest and then resisted.

BigMike74

Sue for.....

He took pictures of his face once he got home after I bailed him out. There is one witness, also. And to the guy who said he got a break, he's never been in any trouble whatsoever, and just because you say something smart to a cop doesn't mean they have the right to strike you.

CdwJava

If he has a lawyer then he should be asking his lawyer these questions. Obviously we are in no position to know what the report said and why he might have been arrested or struck with the "nightstick".

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">