• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Supeoned-Do I have to show???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kosmo13

What is the name of your state?Ca

My friend was recently arrested for some stuff he did and some stuff that he didn't. The "victim" isn't going to press charges, but the state is. The day it happend, I told the cops what my friend told me on the phone and now it is my testimony that will actually increase his time served. If I am supeoned, do I have to show up and what would be the best and yet still legal way to not get him into anymore trouble than he already is?

CdwJava

Kosmo13 said:
What is the name of your state?Ca

My friend was recently arrested for some stuff he did and some stuff that he didn't. The "victim" isn't going to press charges, but the state is. The day it happend, I told the cops what my friend told me on the phone and now it is my testimony that will actually increase his time served. If I am supeoned, do I have to show up and what would be the best and yet still legal way to not get him into anymore trouble than he already is?
You have no legal alternative but to show up and tell the truth. If you change your story than the state could prosecute you for perjury or for making a false report to the police because a changed story would indicate that one of your two tales was a lie.

Just show up and answer the questions. Your friend created his mess - not you. Just do what you have to do and get it over with. I doubt he's worth going to jail for.

- Carl

Kosmo13

Subeoned...

CA. Can I just not remember what I told the cops that morning? I know that you are an officer Sir and I respect that. Just trying to see what my rights are too. I just started a new, high powered job and if this gets out or I have to take time off for this, it will not look good.

tigger22472

Kosmo13 said:
CA. Can I just not remember what I told the cops that morning? I know that you are an officer Sir and I respect that. Just trying to see what my rights are too. I just started a new, high powered job and if this gets out or I have to take time off for this, it will not look good.

Sure, but they will put it against what you said that morning and then you risk jail yet again for perjury. Did you hear about the case of Lil' Kim in the news? She lied about events and was sentenced to jail time.

CdwJava

Kosmo13 said:
You will have to go to court. If you suddenly have a case of amnesia, expect to be treated as "hostile" and you may also risk perjury charges.

You have a right to tell the truth. You do not have a right to lie. And you will have to answer the subpoena.

Its up to you.

As for your job, show them the subpoena. They can't prevent you from going - and they should be understanding. Besides, your testimony should only take one day.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">