• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Surveillance Camera's vs Neighbors Privacy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Richard Kravatz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I live in a rural area of Colorado, in the country. Last summer my property was vandalized along a fenceline between myself and a neighbor. I built an 8 foot tall solid wooden fence between us, 200 feet long. The fence is on my side of the property line by 4 feet so that I can spray the weeds on both sides without trespassing on the neighbors property. The neighbor is the person who vandalized my property. I can't prove it in court but it is a fact. On my fence in order to prevent further vandalism I installed CCTV camera's that watch along my fenceline and the approach to my fence from the neighbor's property. My camera's cannot see anything at all that I could not see myself standing on my property looking at the neighbors property prior to when I built the fence. The neighbors property can be seen in all places by anyone who walks down the county roads that surround the neighbors property. My camera's cannot see inside the neighbors home but could see the outside of the home if pointed toward the home. My question, "AM I BREAKING ANY LAWS"? The intent of my camera's is as a deterrent to further vandalism on my property and if it does happen I will have the proof needed to prove it in court.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I live in a rural area of Colorado, in the country. Last summer my property was vandalized along a fenceline between myself and a neighbor. I built an 8 foot tall solid wooden fence between us, 200 feet long. The fence is on my side of the property line by 4 feet so that I can spray the weeds on both sides without trespassing on the neighbors property. The neighbor is the person who vandalized my property. I can't prove it in court but it is a fact. On my fence in order to prevent further vandalism I installed CCTV camera's that watch along my fenceline and the approach to my fence from the neighbor's property. My camera's cannot see anything at all that I could not see myself standing on my property looking at the neighbors property prior to when I built the fence. The neighbors property can be seen in all places by anyone who walks down the county roads that surround the neighbors property. My camera's cannot see inside the neighbors home but could see the outside of the home if pointed toward the home. My question, "AM I BREAKING ANY LAWS"? The intent of my camera's is as a deterrent to further vandalism on my property and if it does happen I will have the proof needed to prove it in court.
Not if things are truly as you say they are.

Richard Kravatz

I will add one thing I did not mention just in case it would make any difference. My camera's will take and save a snapshot of any type of "heat in motion" (a person) if it occurs within 30 feet of my camera. The distance from where my camera's are mounted on my fence to the back porch of the neighbors home is 80 feet.

davew128

I will add one thing I did not mention just in case it would make any difference. My camera's will take and save a snapshot of any type of "heat in motion" (a person) if it occurs within 30 feet of my camera. The distance from where my camera's are mounted on my fence to the back porch of the neighbors home is 80 feet.
Then as long as your neighbors's dogs (or your neighbors) aren't in heat and "in motion" within 30 feet of the camera there won't be a problem. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">