• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Surveillance in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Janelle318

What is the name of your state?
Labor Day weekend we had two tires slashed on our van and one on our car. The two vehicles were both parked on a public street and our neighbors van(that we do not get along with) was parked between the two. Now, we have a hunch that the neighbors husband is the one that vandalized the vehicles because we had an issue with him, where we reported him to our home owners association. another neighbor heard him out there and my sister who was staying with us thought she saw him out there but thought nothing of it b/c their van was out there as well. At any rate the state police were called and we voiced our opinion of who we thought did it. He has had a history of doing childish things when someone crosses him on the block.
We have since installed a video camera on our front porch and have it pointed to where our van is generally parked in the evening. My husband works with someone that is a PI and was told as long as we are not using the audio we can tape our property. And if we were to use the audio we need to post it that the video is running. Is this true? This particular neighbor has made mention to other neighbors that he is about annoyed with all of us (there are two houses on our block)that have cameras and that he talked to a lawyer and was told it is illegal to tape "common ground" as he put it. My thoughts are if he is that annoyed with it ...he must want to do something and knows he will be caught if he does!

Thanks!
Janelle

Janelle318

Thanks!
I read thru that but it looks as if as long as I do not have the audio going, which I never do, I should be ok and it is unresticted as per Pennsylvania's Wiretapping and Electronic Surveillance Control Act, 18 Pa. C.S. § 5701.
I believe the only person complaining about the cameras is the one that is itching to do something to another car on our block and knows that if he does we will have proof this time of who did it to show the cops!!

JustAPal00

seniorjudge

Seniorjudge, Why is it that a person can't use electronic surveillance on their own property, but businesses can? Just wondering what the legal rational is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">