• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking care of a warrant 3 years later?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ganjii

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Ok so this happened about 3 years ago. I was at a park with a friend of mine and her car had died so we were sitting there when the cops pull up and give us both park curfew tickets. Anyways I couldn't make it to the court date set, lost the ticket, and on top of that had no way of paying the fines. I know, very stupid of me. Anyways it's 3 years later and I'm sure I have a warrant. I found out when I was riding with a friend in another city and they ran my name. They told me to take care of it, but since it was in Denver they couldn't take me in for it. Anyways I have called in about it and was told that I could just go down and pay what's called a walk-in bond and not have to go to jail. They would just setup another court date. So I guess what I'm trying to ask here is will I go to jail on a park curfew ticket just for having a warrant out on me for 3 years and not turning myself in? Or will I just have to pay the ticket? I mean it's not that big of a fine..

FlyingRon

You were lucky they didn't hold you. They certainly could have (it's happened before). Go to the court and pay the bond and get your date. They won't lock you up if you show up to post the bond. When your court date comes, you probably won't go to jail, but you'll probably get the maximum fine he can throw at you. If you're really concerned talk to a lawyer in the county you were charged in.
However, if you were ever to get stopped in that county for anything, expect them to spend time in jail while you arrange to post that bond.

Ganjii

*Bump* Please any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Will I go to jail after paying the bond and go to court? Does the punishment get worse if you have the warrant out on your for 3 years? I mean it was only Park Curfew. Or will I just have to pay the fine?

FlyingRon

Did you read my post? If they are going to let you pay the bond, you won't be jailed. While being a fugitive won't incline the judge to leniency, I doubt you'll get jail time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">