• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tape recording question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dogloki

What is the name of your state? Utah

My 13 year old son took a little spin around the block in my car without my knowledge or permission. One of the neighbors saw him and called the police. He got scared and said I had given him permission to drive the car. The police officer then questioned me and I told him I would never allow my son to drive. He then told me to quit lying or he was taking me to jail. I told him I was not lying but one time I did let him back out of the driveway just a little with me right there. This is when he pulled the tape recorder out and said he had my confession. Then I was upset and said I wanted to talk to an attorney.He then put the handcuffs on me and said I was being disorderly. He proceeded to put me in the police car but then said he would give me one more chance to confess. I said I was innocent and this is when I was booked into jail for disorderly conduct and allowing a minor to drive. I know I need a lawyer, but I was wondering if a police officer can tape you without you knowing it? Thank you.

K

krispenstpeter

Anyone can record you. Whether it is admissible in court is another matter. Likely not, but you need to speak with an attorney IMMEDIATELY.

Let me guess, this is a very small town right?

B

Big Bubba

dogloki said:
What is the name of your state? Utah

. I told him.... Then I was upset ...

You would think after all those episodes of "Cops" that people would at least learn to remain silent, lol.

D

dogloki

tape recordings

Yes this is a very small town (8,000).

And yes I should have remained silent but ?
I am not one who deals with the law on a daily basis. I deal with kids though and my son is grounded.
Thanks for the information.

N

NorthDA

utah cops

I'm just glad this didn't happen in my jurisdiction...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">