• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tearing up crime photos

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? any US state
Watching alot of crime shows I got to wondering,when the cops are interrogating you in the room and they show you crime photos, what would happen if you tear them up?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You'd be arrested for obstruction of justice and they'd print new copies of the photos.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What makes you think you'd be allowed to hold them at all?

Life is not "Law and Order".

Stop being silly.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You'd be arrested for obstruction of justice and they'd print new copies of the photos.
There is also the issue of destruction of evidence that could happen. But felonies would be in your future. Well, disneykid's future. And I agree, he needs to quit watching so much tv.

CavemanLawyer

Nothing would happen. Everything is digital these days so the original copies would still be sitting on their server. If a police officer allowed any suspect/defendant to handle an original piece of evidence during an interrogation and it got destroyed then it'd be the officer that was in trouble.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Everything is digital these days so the original copies would still be sitting on their server.

Which is really the main point. Regardless of what did or did not happen to someone who "tore them up", it would not accomplish anything for that someone since the photos would still exist.

swalsh411

Nothing would happen. Everything is digital these days so the original copies would still be sitting on their server. If a police officer allowed any suspect/defendant to handle an original piece of evidence during an interrogation and it got destroyed then it'd be the officer that was in trouble.
But you're just a simple caveman, confused and frightened by modern technology!

Proserpina

Everything is digital these days so the original copies would still be sitting on their server.

Which is really the main point. Regardless of what did or did not happen to someone who "tore them up", it would not accomplish anything for that someone since the photos would still exist.

But I saw it on Law & Order!

It HAS to be true!

I also saw it on Teh Interwebz and you can't put fake stuff on Teh Interwebz! Everybody knows that!

tranquility

I hate to agree with someone always right, but I see no crime here. At best, a request through tort for the cost of reproduction. Only if the evidence presented was unique would there be an issue.

single317dad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? any US state
Watching alot of crime shows I got to wondering,when the cops are interrogating you in the room and they show you crime photos, what would happen if you tear them up?
What would happen if they let you hold the murder weapon and you ground it up into tiny pieces?
What would happen if they let you hold the pound of pot you were charged with transporting and you smoked it all up?

quincy

What would happen if they let you hold the murder weapon and you ground it up into tiny pieces?
What would happen if they let you hold the pound of pot you were charged with transporting and you smoked it all up?
Aw, geez, single317dad. Now you have given disneykid52 more things to ponder as he watches late night tv.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The question is too ridiculous for me to worry about. Obstruction, destruction, nothing at all, don't make no never mind to me. But I'm quite sure that disneykid is envisioning a scenario where the destruction of the photos results in the suspect having to be released for lack of evidence. He may rest assured that since other copies of the photos would exist, no such result would transpire.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">