• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Technicality?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

canarsiekid5

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

okay here it goes. I'm 17, i went to pick my girlfriend up at a party, i had a confrontation. After i left,sum1 called the police saying i had a gun, police pulled me over with guns drawn, now heres the crucial part, my glove compartment and trunk were locked, and even though my keys were still in my ignition, i had the key to the glove compartment and trunk in my small pocket. As they were searching me, they asked if i gave them permission to search the trunk, i said no....after that the glove compartment was either picked or broken open and a handgun was found.....after i was sent to juvenile detention, the corrections officer doing my intake found they key even after the police thouroghly searched me and took everything i had besides my clothes. The next day my parents were given the key by the c.o.....now my question is, was that a legit search and where they allowed to forfully open anything locked without my permission? and if no, then could it possibly be dismissed as a technicality? thank you for your time

Just Blue

canarsiekid5 said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

okay here it goes. I'm 17, i went to pick my girlfriend up at a party, i had a confrontation. After i left,sum1 called the police saying i had a gun, police pulled me over with guns drawn, now heres the crucial part, my glove compartment and trunk were locked, and even though my keys were still in my ignition, i had the key to the glove compartment and trunk in my small pocket. As they were searching me, they asked if i gave them permission to search the trunk, i said no....after that the glove compartment was either picked or broken open and a handgun was found.....after i was sent to juvenile detention, the corrections officer doing my intake found they key even after the police thouroghly searched me and took everything i had besides my clothes. The next day my parents were given the key by the c.o.....now my question is, was that a legit search and where they allowed to forfully open anything locked without my permission? and if no, then could it possibly be dismissed as a technicality? thank you for your time

God! I hope not!

CdwJava

Depending on the details, a search of the glove box may have been appropriate.

You need to speak to an attorney who can access all the facts of the case.

The problem is that the caller was correct - you DID have a gun. So the information was valid and corroborated. Whether they had the right to look n the glove box will depend on the details and what the officers knew or believed at the time ... and the status of your state's laws on the issue.

- Carl

canarsiekid5

your probobly right, i do have a lawyer and i'm currently under house arrest as it was my first offense and he said it looks like i will get 2 years of probation at least.......i was just seeking a "second opinion" lol.....thank you for the advice, wish me luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">