• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas - may be looking at trespassing and evading arrest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bxbully

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Okay, so essentially my friends and I made a horrible mistake and we were smoking marijuana in a place we shouldn't have been. I know we're stupid and all that but it's over and I'm just looking for legal advice. The cop starts pulling up and we all run away, but a few things were left, one of which was a laptop. So they took them and put them as "lost property" and left a slip that told us to go to the sheriffs department. So, we went there and they had us call the specific deputy and we made another horrible mistake and admitted to running when we saw the cop pull up and smoking. We were told to go to downtown to pick up our materials, but we know someone thats a police and works for the same county, and he told us it was a trap. Also we were on the phone again ( didn't admit anything this time) with the cop and he said that we could be facing charges such as evading arrest and trespassing. But the inconsistency is that we went to the sheriff's office to pick up our materials and why wouldn't they just arrest us there? Why send us downtown to arrest us? Would they have enough evidence to be able to get a warrant to search our homes? We live in a private neighborhood so the guard has our addresses and names. Please help and yes I know we're stupid and shouldn;t have done it but it's over with and I just need to understand the legality of this situation. Are they allowed to even do this?

FlyingRon

Stop talking to the police.
Start talking to an attorney.

Contrary to what you think you understand of the criminal process from watching TV, most cases do not inolve cops arrestine peole, reciting miranda rights, and hauling off to jail. What you can expect is that you'll eventually get an order ot appear in court on your crimes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">