• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft 3 in Washington

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Krioss

Does Fred Meyers look up old purchases and video to see if someone tried to return something they bought on one day and then try and get items off shelf to get refund another time?
I know someone who bought items one day, went back weeks later, retrieved same items from shelf, to get a refund. Will fred Meyers search old videos or purchase history to see if it was done before? Or will this person just need to worry about this specific charge? This person has no record, never got in trouble in life, had refund removed from credit card to give store back all monies, and now facing theft 3 charge because they got caught doing it. Do they need to just worry about this current charge? Do stores even take the time and energy to research or are they just interested in getting money back?

Last edited:

quincy

I am not sure I quite understand what your friend did to be charged with theft 3 (he stole the item that he tried to return for the refund?) but it will be the current charge he needs to worry about in his upcoming hearing. I suspect that a single conviction on theft from the store will result in him being banned from all Fred Meyers' stores.

Here is a link to the law: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.56.050

Your friend should seek out the help of an attorney in his area prior to going to court. And it would be very smart for him not to admit publicly to committing other crimes.

(saw your edit, Krioss - smart! - I have edited my post, as well)

Last edited:

quincy

Does Fred Meyers look up old purchases and video to see if someone tried to return something they bought on one day and then try and get items off shelf to get refund another time?
I know someone who bought items one day, went back weeks later, retrieved same items from shelf, to get a refund. Will fred Meyers search old videos or purchase history to see if it was done before? Or will this person just need to worry about this specific charge? This person has no record, never got in trouble in life, had refund removed from credit card to give store back all monies, and now facing theft 3 charge because they got caught doing it. Do they need to just worry about this current charge? Do stores even take the time and energy to research or are they just interested in getting money back?
Your friend faces if he is convicted of a theft 3 charge (which is considered a gross misdemeanor in Washington) up to 364 days in jail and/or a fine up to $5000. Here is a link to the penalties: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.20&full=true

He can also face a civil action filed against him by the store.

Because theft 3 is a crime that upon conviction can affect your friend's future in all sorts of bad ways, I repeat my advice that he seek out the help of an attorney in his area. And he should try to find a better, legal way to make money in the future.

Krioss

Sorry....this website is not user friendly, so I'm not sure my posts are going through appropriately. To add to the post, this person saw a lawyer and was told that they felt confident they could get a compromise of misdemeanor and have case dismissed. My friend is so sorry and this is not something they have done before or will ever do again. Record is super clean and this is first offense. Do you think Fred Meyers just cares about getting money back, which they did in full that same day, plus civil demand money they will get soon? My friend doesn't know what to expect fully and is understandably scared. Just wants to make things right. He has a family and children and clearly made big mistake. This has affected this person physically and emotionally, not that anyone cares. Just scared and worried.....

quincy

Sorry....this website is not user friendly, so I'm not sure my posts are going through appropriately. To add to the post, this person saw a lawyer and was told that they felt confident they could get a compromise of misdemeanor and have case dismissed. My friend is so sorry and this is not something they have done before or will ever do again. Record is super clean and this is first offense. Do you think Fred Meyers just cares about getting money back, which they did in full that same day, plus civil demand money they will get soon? My friend doesn't know what to expect fully and is understandably scared. Just wants to make things right. He has a family and children and clearly made big mistake. This has affected this person physically and emotionally, not that anyone cares. Just scared and worried.....
If your friend has stolen in the same way in the past, it would appear he is more sorry that he got caught stealing than he is sorry that he stole. In other words, this is not really his first offense. It is only the first time he has been charged with the crime that he has managed to escape being charged with in the past.

I have no idea what the store will do or if the prosecutor will reduce the misdemeanor or if the charges will be dismissed entirely. He should speak only to his attorney and rely on his attorney to get the best outcome for him possible based on the facts. If this means the charge is dismissed, great for him. If it is not, he will somehow have to deal with the consequences of his criminal act.

Whatever happens, I hope he has been scared and worried enough about this that he never tries to do anything like it ever again - for his sake as well as for the sake of his children.

Krioss

I can't argue any of your opinions or say you're wrong because what you're saying is logical but I can tell you that it's done more than enough for him never to do it again for sure. The effect this has caused is great. He's trying his best to make it right....whatever that means. Thank you for your replies.

quincy

I can't argue any of your opinions or say you're wrong because what you're saying is logical but I can tell you that it's done more than enough for him never to do it again for sure. The effect this has caused is great. He's trying his best to make it right....whatever that means. Thank you for your replies.
You're welcome, Krioss. I wish your friend good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">