• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jenhas4

my nephew asked me for a ride to his job to get his jacket. I asked him couldnt he get it tomorrow when he goes into work. He told me he was off and wanted me to drop him off at the movies so i gave him a ride. Well while he was at his job he stole money. I had no knowledge of what was going on because had i of known what he was doing I would never have given him a ride. He was caught on camera and so was my car. The police contacted me and asked for him. I told them this wasnt his phone and the cop askedwho i was and i told him i was his aunt. He asked my name and when the last time i saw my nephew and i told him sunday night when i gave him a ride to get his jacket and droped him off at the movies. The cop asked me to come to the station and to im guessing to give a statement. My question is is the cop planning on arresting me or just to give a statement? Plz help im a nervous wreck.

CdwJava

No one can say what the police are planning to do. If what you say is the truth, chances are they want you to provide a witness statement. If you are leaving out some pertinent details and may actually be involved, they may be looking at you as a suspect. Only YOU know what involvement you had.

if you feel that nervous about it, you can refuse to speak to the police. You might also want to consider consulting an attorney for advice before you do. But, as a caveat to the likely flood of comments that are about to come saying "Don't talk to the cops!" the quickest way to guarantee that you will be viewed as a suspect will be to clam up and NOT talk to them. If they have no information to the contrary, you may very well be seen as a participant in the crime.

So, it's up to you.

quincy

my nephew asked me for a ride to his job to get his jacket. I asked him couldnt he get it tomorrow when he goes into work. He told me he was off and wanted me to drop him off at the movies so i gave him a ride. Well while he was at his job he stole money. I had no knowledge of what was going on because had i of known what he was doing I would never have given him a ride. He was caught on camera and so was my car. The police contacted me and asked for him. I told them this wasnt his phone and the cop askedwho i was and i told him i was his aunt. He asked my name and when the last time i saw my nephew and i told him sunday night when i gave him a ride to get his jacket and droped him off at the movies. The cop asked me to come to the station and to im guessing to give a statement. My question is is the cop planning on arresting me or just to give a statement? Plz help im a nervous wreck.
Jenhas4, what is the name of your state or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

As a general rule (and to start the "flood of comments" to which CdwJava referred), it is not smart to answer any questions asked of you by the police if to do so could implicate you in a crime. Your car was caught on a surveillance camera at the time and at the place where a crime was committed, your nephew is apparently a suspect in the crime, and you could be seen as aiding your nephew.

Speaking with an attorney prior to speaking to the police can help you protect yourself from saying something that is better left unsaid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">