• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft by credit card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

indeep

Texas

Please do not bash me. I already know I did a dumb thing.

I had a company credit card that I was authorized to use for business purposes. I had charged personal things on it and had paid for them. Lots of employees did this even though it was not allowed, even upper management. The card had my name and the company name on it. I guess copies of the bill were sent to us both. I was responsible for paying for all of the charges on it, but the company was financially responsible if I did not pay. I sent in expense reports and the company sent payments to the card company.

I charged personal items on the card. I did not pay for the items and the company had to pay for them. They are now pressing charges for theft, saying "misused company credit card to steal funds from the company."

I guess I thought they would just sue me for the money - I did not ever think they could press charges. I know - DUMB, DUMB, DUMB.

I am probably not financially able to pay back the money (even if that was an option). Does anyone have any advice regarding this?

I appreciate your time. Thanks.

Kane

Do you know specifically what statute you've been charged with violating?

Or have you been charged and/or arrested yet?

If you haven't been, contact the company and see if they'd consider taking payments, in exchange for keeping the matter private. Beg, borrow (but don't steal), if necessary.

If you have been arrested, you'll need an attorney. The first thing he'll do is try to work out a deal for restitution, in exchange for a favorable plea bargain. So you're going to need to pay back this money either way.

If you want to ever have a good job again, you need to make this a priority.

indeep

I do not know the statute, if you are asking which specific penal code(?). Can this help me somehow? I guess at this point I am praying for a miracle like - they can only sue me because it had my name also or some other technicality that could possibly save my butt at this time.

Yes, charged and arrested. Ick.

Thank you for your response.

Kane

There are a few different statutes that might apply to what you did. Without knowing which offense they've charged you with, it's hard to say whether you might have some sort of technical defense.

If you go down to the criminal clerk's office where you live, they should be able to give you a copy of something called a "probable cause affidavit," or "affidavit for arrest and detention." That should tell you specifically what crime the police think you committed. Or, you could look at the paperwork from your bail bondsman or pretrial services.

Also, start calling around to see about hiring a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">