• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft by deception?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kc4993

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

if someone accepts a check from you, say for child support, then claims to have lost the check (or washed it in the laundry) so you replace said check with Cash; then find the check has actually been cashed (but did not clear due to lack of funds) ... CRIMINAL or just plain crappy??

If criminal, who do you call and report it too? Also, can I deduct fees from the over draft from future child support checks?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

if someone accepts a check from you, say for child support, then claims to have lost the check (or washed it in the laundry) so you replace said check with Cash; then find the check has actually been cashed (but did not clear due to lack of funds) ... CRIMINAL or just plain crappy??

If criminal, who do you call and report it too? Also, can I deduct fees from the over draft from future child support checks?
Not a crime - you should have placed a stop on the check.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The person did not get paid because the check bounced, so they lied to the payer and told him they lost the check so the payer paid them cash?

So? Why wouldn't the person just tell the payer the check bounced? There has to be more to this that you're not telling.

What could possibly be criminal about this?

Who would you think committed the criminal act? The liar or the person who bounced the check?

Where's the theft? The person who was owed the money got paid - only once.

Antigone*

The person did not get paid because the check bounced, so they lied to the payer and told him they lost the check so the payer paid them cash?

So? Why wouldn't the person just tell the payer the check bounced? There has to be more to this that you're not telling.

What could possibly be criminal about this?

Who would you think committed the criminal act? The liar or the person who bounced the check?

Where's the theft? The person who was owed the money got paid - only once.
Col Mustard did it in the library with the candlestick :eek:

kc4993

The original check was "lost" so the funds were withdrawn and given to her in cash, then she left a message that the check was actually deposited - and "what now". It is a trick she has done before, we just fell for it again. She needed the cash on sunday for groceries from my husbands children - I had no choice but to get her the cash. The check will not clear, as I took out the funds via my cash card, to give her the cash .... I think this is theft by deception on her part ... she cash my checked, lied, accepted cash, then leaves a message she lied and did deposit my check. Am I making sense?

kc4993

also, she is having her attorney file charges for the bad check, denying the cash, I don't have a receipt, but do have an 18 y/o step daughter who accepted the money and gave it to her mother .... I want her to pay the Overdraft fees associated with this also. But, I think this is theft by deception and want charges filed against her. The check would have cleared if I had not had to remove the cash for her yesterday.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
As Mister Scott once said,

"there's an old saying back on Earth, Mr. Sulu... fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me..."

CdwJava

also, she is having her attorney file charges for the bad check, denying the cash, I don't have a receipt, but do have an 18 y/o step daughter who accepted the money and gave it to her mother .... I want her to pay the Overdraft fees associated with this also. But, I think this is theft by deception and want charges filed against her. The check would have cleared if I had not had to remove the cash for her yesterday.
So, what did the police tell you about it when you reported this to them? Did they say it was criminal or civil?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">