• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft by Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LisaFulcer

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin I was investigated about 4 mnoths ago for theft by Fraud and have heard nothing more about. I was wondering what are the staute of limitations on these charges? And how long does it usually take to file them against a person? And should I be worried? I turned in a statement to the officer investigating the charges, and explained that it was not me who was the guilty party. And was told by the officer he was just investigating and would be turning the file over to the district attorney and like I said I've heard nothing since. Please help

CdwJava

These sorts of investigations can take a while. And they likely have three years or so to make a case. So you can either worry about it, or you can let it go until something happens. If you didn't do anything then you likely have nothing to worry about.

- Carl

Happy Trails

LisaFulcer said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin I was investigated about 4 mnoths ago for theft by Fraud and have heard nothing more about. I was wondering what are the staute of limitations on these charges? And how long does it usually take to file them against a person? And should I be worried? I turned in a statement to the officer investigating the charges, and explained that it was not me who was the guilty party. And was told by the officer he was just investigating and would be turning the file over to the district attorney and like I said I've heard nothing since. Please help
You haven't been charged yet, they are still in the stages of investigating.

JETX

LisaFulcer said:
I was wondering what are the staute of limitations on these charges?
The 'SOL' on a felony in Wisconsin is 6 years.... and 3 years on a misdemeanor.
http://folio.legis.state.wi.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=30404130&hitsperheading=on&infobase=stats.nfo&jump=939.74&softpage=Document#JUMPDEST_939.74

And how long does it usually take to file them against a person?
It takes them as long as they need to investigate and file charges.

And should I be worried?
No one can answer that as we do not have access to the investigation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">