• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

theft by taking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gadawgfansm

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? georgia
do i need a lawyer for a misdemeanor theft by taking case do these cases get
jail time

gadawgfansm said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? georgia
do i need a lawyer for a misdemeanor theft by taking case do these cases get
jail time
Theft by taking???????????? It wouldnt be theft by giving! :confused:

n_and

It wouldnt be theft by giving!
Ahhh!! But imagine if it was!!

A misdemeanor theft? Nope, I wouldn't get a lawyer. You'll get a 'slap on the wrist'. Probation, community service, fines.

JETX

Georgia State Code:
16-8-2.
A person commits the offense of theft by taking when he unlawfully takes or, being in lawful possession thereof, unlawfully appropriates any property of another with the intention of depriving him of the property, regardless of the manner in which the property is taken or appropriated.

As for punishment, since you didn't tell us the amount stolen:
16-8-12.
(a) A person convicted of a violation of Code Sections 16-8-2 through 16-8-9 shall be punished as for a misdemeanor except:
(1) If the property which was the subject of the theft exceeded $500.00 in value, by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than ten years or, in the discretion of the trial judge, as for a misdemeanor;

I excluded the remaining sections as it is unlikely your theft involved them (things like 'anhydrous ammonia', etc.
The above statutes can be found at: http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/GaCode/Title16.pdf

Punishment:
17-10-3.
(a) Except as otherwise provided by law, every crime declared to be a misdemeanor shall be punished as follows:
(1) By a fine not to exceed $1,000.00 or by confinement in the county or other jail, county correctional institution, or such other places as counties may provide for maintenance of county inmates, for a total term not to exceed 12 months, or both;

Source: http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/GaCode/Title17.pdf

JETX

n_and said:
Yes.....but chances stand, no jail time served. Jails are full...
No one can guess what the court might do... I just provided what the court CAN do.

JETX said:
No one can guess what the court might do... I just provided what the court CAN do.
Of course one can "guess" what the court might do. A local criminal lawyer (and I mean local to that county) can make a darn good "guess" about what sentence the person would receive.

Even a non-lawyer can "guess" what the court may do. It might just be a bad guess though.

JETX

Rhubarb297 said:
Of course one can "guess" what the court might do. A local criminal lawyer (and I mean local to that county) can make a darn good "guess" about what sentence the person would receive.
And, as usual, RubySlippers is WRONG!! An attorney is a FOOL if he tries to tell you EXACTLY what a court would rule. He might say that you MIGHT get this, or you MIGHT get that... but he/she has absolutely NO way to 'KNOW' how a court might rule, or what sentence they will give a person. There are simply too many variables.

For example, we don't know if the writer is going to request a jury or bench trial. We don't know if the prosecutor might be up for election and have a "Jail A Thief" campaign slogan. We don't know if the OP might be before a 'part-time' judge who might own (or have a wife/husband who owns) a retail store.

The only REAL information we can provide ACCURATELY is what the law allows.

Even a non-lawyer can "guess" what the court may do. It might just be a bad guess though.
And of course, according to most of your error-filled posts, you have a LOT of experience with WRONG 'guesses', huh??

JETX

One of the definitions of 'rhubarb':
The dried, bitter-tasting rhizome and roots of Rheum palmatum or R. officinale of eastern Asia, used as a laxative.

How appropriate!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">