• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are there any situations where police can't come into your home to arrest you?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I went over to my parents' for dinner last night and I was watching a Law & Order re-run with my step-dad. The officers went to the home of someone who was accused of a crime (non-violent, something like making threats or harassment) but he refused to step outside of his house and they couldn't arrest him because of that. I asked my step-dad if he had ever heard that before and he told me that he had only seen it on tv shows and so have I. Is that just a piece of tv-land fiction or are there any situations or reasons that law enforcement can't come into your home to arrest you, but they could arrest you if you stepped out of your home?

Thanks for taking to the time to educate me about the law with your answers!

CdwJava

Most probable cause arrests require you to either (a) be in a public place for the arrest, or, (b) be allowed into the home. There are exceptions to this for varying circumstances. The lack of spcifics is why we do not tend to discuss hypotheticals because there are too many variables.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">