• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Thieves tried to steal my air conditioner coils.. Restitution?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

85percent

Hi, I live in California.

Last night, two thieves broke into my side yard and made their way to my air conditioner in the back yard. They severed the main copper line and released 12 pounds of refigerant (free-on) into the air, and basically ripped apart my air conditioner. I ran outside since I heard noises, and called the police. Long story short, the police caught them outside.

Now, I have a repairman fixing my A/C and its going to cost $850 in repairs out of my wallet to replace the 12 pounds of refigerant at $50 per pound.. My homeowners insurance is a $1000 deductible. So my question is, how exactly can I seek restitution from these thieves. Im guessing they don't have 10 cents to their names, but still. What can I do?

Silverplum

Hi, I live in California.

Last night, two thieves broke into my side yard and made their way to my air conditioner in the back yard. They severed the main copper line and released 12 pounds of refigerant (free-on) into the air, and basically ripped apart my air conditioner. I ran outside since I heard noises, and called the police. Long story short, the police caught them outside.

Now, I have a repairman fixing my A/C and its going to cost $850 in repairs out of my wallet to replace the 12 pounds of refigerant at $50 per pound.. My homeowners insurance is a $1000 deductible. So my question is, how exactly can I seek restitution from these thieves. Im guessing they don't have 10 cents to their names, but still. What can I do?
After they're convicted, you can sue them in small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">