• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

threats on email or AIM or web forum

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chinachow

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Let's say someone says "I have your address. I'm going to pay you a visit and beat you up" over instant messaging or on a web forum like this.

Is it likely that I'd phone my local police station, and they can trace the message back to computer where that message was written (with the cooperation of a few internet companies that may be forced to do things by a judge), and arrest the kid that wrote that threat? I would like to think so, after Columbine.

What if it's not a violence threat, but something like "I'll hack your web site"

JETX

"Let's say someone says "I have your address. I'm going to pay you a visit and beat you up" over instant messaging or on a web forum like this.'
Is it likely that I'd phone my local police station, and they can trace the message back to computer where that message was written (with the cooperation of a few internet companies that may be forced to do things by a judge), and arrest the kid that wrote that threat?
*** Nope, the police won't even take a report on that type of 'threat'. Simply, there is no clear intention (or ability) to cause you any direct harm. The police are too busy handling real issues.

"What if it's not a violence threat, but something like "I'll hack your web site"
*** Even less.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">