• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket Dismissed or Not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sooner61

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I received the ticket in LA. I live in OK.

Hello,

I have a question regarding, I'm guessing, procedure. On 3/17/2012 I was driving through a rural part of Louisiana on my way to Florida when the speed instantly dropped from 75 to 55. Within 20 yards of the 55 speed limit sign was a hidden cruiser and he pulled me over and gave me a ticket. I was very polite with the officer and explained to him that I can't have the ticket on my record as I am an EMT in OK and I drive ambulances for a living. He told me to write a detailed letter to the DA of the Parish and that the DA would most likely drop it because I work in public service. So when I got back to OK, I wrote the DA a letter and mailed it certified mail on 3/26/12. It showed it was delivered on 3/29/12.

Weeks went by and when I didn't hear anything back from the DA, so I gave his office a call. I spoke to the assistant DA, gave him my citation number, and he said that the citation had been dismissed and that I did not need to do anything further.

Today, 7/16/12, I received a letter from the DA's office stating that I have to complete community service and pay a fine in order to have the citation dismissed. The letter is dated 7/13/12. If I do not complete community service and pay the fine, my license will be suspended.

My question is, do I a case here to say that my right to a speedy trial or due process was violated? I was assured from the DAs office that the citation had been dropped and I did not need to do anything further when I called them in May, and now in the middle of July is receive a letter? I feel as if this is not right.

Thanks ahead of time for everyones input.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Perhaps you ought to arrange to do your community service and to pay the fine...

xylene

OR, Perhaps you ought to immediately hire a lawyer.

As you should have known well enough to do when you first received the ticket. Before doing any self help... As any professional with a driving dependent job should do.

dave33

sooner61, Call the office again and see if you can talk to the person you talked to before. If you cannot get that person on the line explain that this had been dismissed and no mention of service or a fine had been mentioned. goodluck.

racer72

My question is, do I a case here to say that my right to a speedy trial or due process was violated?
Not even remotely close to either. You have to invoke your right to a speedy trial and even then you were still well within that window. Any failure to due process is on you, you did not show up for any scheduled hearings to learn of the results of the ticket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">