• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticketed for theft III - plead or juy ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wizzabooo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My husband rec'vd a ticket for theft III (2nd offense) here are the details: A friend came by to tell him there were 2 refrigs that needed to be picked up (he does scrap metal) since he doesn't have a drivers license our neighbor drove our truck to pick them up - the friend Steve got out of the truck when they got there and went up to the door to let the person know they were picking them up, he waved them on and told them to go ahead, they loaded the truck then went approx. 1/2 blk away to pick up another inside a women's house, took them about 1/2 hr to get that frig out the door, in the mean time his friend steve was talking with someone and the conversation was getting heated, apparently the refrigs belonged to the person steve was talking to. The woman whose house they were now at went in and phoned the police. My husband and neighbor waited - the police arrested steve for some non payment of a fine or ? - the neighbor who was driving and had helped load the frigs nothing happened - my husband rec'vd the only ticket, the cops said because the truck was his - and technically the truck is in my name not his. The permission to get the frigs was for someone else and that person had given the permission to steve but the person who owned them wasn't aware of that. My husband doesn't want to plead guilty since he was more of less caught up in someones else beef. Any suggestions on how he should handle this? Thanks for any help you can give.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

My husband rec'vd a ticket for theft III (2nd offense) here are the details: A friend came by to tell him there were 2 refrigs that needed to be picked up (he does scrap metal) since he doesn't have a drivers license our neighbor drove our truck to pick them up - the friend Steve got out of the truck when they got there and went up to the door to let the person know they were picking them up, he waved them on and told them to go ahead, they loaded the truck then went approx. 1/2 blk away to pick up another inside a women's house, took them about 1/2 hr to get that frig out the door, in the mean time his friend steve was talking with someone and the conversation was getting heated, apparently the refrigs belonged to the person steve was talking to. The woman whose house they were now at went in and phoned the police. My husband and neighbor waited - the police arrested steve for some non payment of a fine or ? - the neighbor who was driving and had helped load the frigs nothing happened - my husband rec'vd the only ticket, the cops said because the truck was his - and technically the truck is in my name not his. The permission to get the frigs was for someone else and that person had given the permission to steve but the person who owned them wasn't aware of that. My husband doesn't want to plead guilty since he was more of less caught up in someones else beef. Any suggestions on how he should handle this? Thanks for any help you can give.
Sounds like he is guilty of at least receiving stolen property but he also stole them if the person he took them from didn't have the right to give them. And his SECOND OFFENSE?

TigerD

He should talk to an attorney. The choice of pleading or going to trial is a serious one that can be made only by your husband and should be made after reviewing the situation, facts, and evidence with his attorney.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">