• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Took money but returned it with no intent to steal. Now they want to press charges.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jjackson2147

California.

I recently used my Fraternity's account to pay for something. It was for $520.00. However, my intent was to not "fraud" them. I came clean and paid back everything I owed. This was even before they were to question me. I came clean because of my guilty conscience. Now that all the money has been returned. They have decided to press charges. I have no criminal record. Can anything severe happen? I would figure this case be moot. Since money was paid back.

Can I undergo severe penalties?? What happens when they press charges against this??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Antigone*

California.

I recently used my Fraternity's account to pay for something. It was for $520.00. However, my intent was to not "fraud" them. I came clean and paid back everything I owed. This was even before they were to question me. I came clean because of my guilty conscience. Now that all the money has been returned. They have decided to press charges. I have no criminal record. Can anything severe happen? I would figure this case be moot. Since money was paid back.

Can I undergo severe penalties?? What happens when they press charges against this??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
You didn't "intend" to steal, you stole. They are well within their rights to file a police report against you.

The fact that you have no criminal record only means you have no been caught yet.

If you are arrested and questioned, hire an attorney.

outonbail

California.

I recently used my Fraternity's account to pay for something. It was for $520.00. However, my intent was to not "fraud" them. I came clean and paid back everything I owed. This was even before they were to question me. I came clean because of my guilty conscience.
If you had no intent to steal this money, why the guilty conscience?

Now that all the money has been returned. They have decided to press charges.
This is their prerogative.
I have no criminal record. Can anything severe happen?
Yes, you can be found guilty and gain a criminal record, along with paying fines and being placed on probation.
I would figure this case be moot. Since money was paid back.
You would be figuring wrong, since you still executed the crime, the theft still took place.

CdwJava

You could potentially be charged with grand theft, embezzlement, and maybe even burglary ... maybe some more, depending on the details.

As you have been advised, if charged, consult an attorney ASAP. if you suspect the police will be calling on you, consult that attorney now.

- Carl

Alex23

The frat probably doesn't want every member using the funds as a checking account. It's good that you paid the money back. Why didn't you just use your own credit card?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">