• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Totally Lost

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tine81161

What is the name of your state? Texas

This is going to take a while so bear with me please; In May 2005 I moved into a rental house with a "Lease" 1. Rent due date, 2. Maintain the yard, 3. Move out by 31 December 4. 5. I moved in. 6 Maintain the property. There was no deposit required at the time.

Now I am going through a divorce and recently my soon to be exhusband broke a window to get into the house. Well it was a bad situation so I moved out immediately and notified the landlord. That is not the problem I paid for the window to be repaired.

Here is my question is - when I moved into the house the landlord left tons of stuff in there - two fully furnished bedrooms, half the kitchen with stuff in it, the refrigerator, washer dryer, lawn mower blower tools of all kinds. I moved out on 28 September (in a hurry) but anyway I notified the landlord and he went over to the house on 8 October. He emailed me this morning and told me that there were several items missing including the lawn mower and a blower. I did not take it - to be honest not sure if my ex husband did not come and grab it but anyway the mower and blower are now missing. Can I be charged with theft? There was no inventory done before I moved in or after but I am so worried that he will try and charge me with a criminal offense. I work for the Army and I would lose my job if I am charged with any kind of ethical crime. Please help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">