• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic stop - was I illegally questioned?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

driven

What is the name of your state? NC

I was pulled over in a small mountain community last winter and asked questionable info. The basis of the stop was because I did not have an emmissions sticker in the window. In many less populated counties in NC they do not require emmisions and this was one of them. I had just had the windshield replaced and needed to get another sticker.

Anyway, I provided the officer the normal stuff - a valid driver license, proof of insurance, vehicle registration, etc. After a long period of time (seemed like 20 min.) he then returned to my car and then asked my employment and SS# :eek::confused: Yes, you read that correctly! About that time two additional officers showed up, blocked my car in and then stood around my car.

I so badly wanted to protest what was happening but I had the inlaws (visiting from out of the country), my wife, and 3 year old son in the car with me and didn't want to get arrested for not providing the info. I will preface this by saying my car is somewhat modified (tastefully - I work in the industry for a manufacturer) so I believe the aggressive look of the car played the part of getting me pulled over. I drove this particular car on that day because it was AWD and it was snowing out.

Later on, I considered contacting an attorney but didn't have the time and didn't even know if anything wrong had occured. I did contact the county (magistrate and police department) and told them what had happened. They said they could pull me over for that violation even though emmissions inspections weren't neccessary in their county. I was told the same thing about the officer asking for my employer info and SS#. I think it was complete BS and they dropped the small fine after calling them on the phone!

Anybody know about the law for asking so many questions and holding us there for so long. I would say the entire episode went on for nearly an hour. Not to mention it was humiliating in front of the family and the very busy retaurant parking lot that we were stopped at.

Last edited:

mrgonzo

almost every speeding ticket Iv'e ever received they have asked my what I do and where I work, which they usually jot down on a notepad; and this is across multiple states. The social question was new to me until I didnt have my ID.

But seriously, what are you going to sue for? pain and suffering of giving out your social. At least you know now for the future. And since you sat there for an hour, you should also look into your ability to take off, I think you can ask something like "Am I being charged" or something and if they say no, then they cant detain you; something like that, look into it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">