• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trespassing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trishandsons

Can a cop breach a posted, locked gate onto private property to ask me a question about a friend's whereabouts? He wanted to serve my friend with a traffic warrant.

quincy

You can use the "edit post" feature to add content to your original post. Please do not start a new thread. Thanks.

(the "preview" feature on this site is apparently broken - it erases posts)

Ahh. You figured out a way to add content. Good. :)

Last edited:

quincy

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Is that a yes? Meaning he can come onto the property to ask of my friends whereabouts?
Actually what I posted was not a yes or a no to your question. I was posting before your question appeared. :)

That said, the answer to your question depends on what the warrant allows. If the warrant allows for the police to enter the property, the answer to your question is yes. If it doesn't, the answer is no.

trishandsons

The warrant was for my friend with no link to me or my property. Was just curious why he thought he could hop the gate thats posted no trespassing to come ask me a question.

quincy

The warrant was for my friend with no link to me or my property. Was just curious why he thought he could hop the gate thats posted no trespassing to come ask me a question.
Your friend perhaps provided your address as his residence? I don't know.

Here is a link that provides information on arrest warrants, which may or may not help you understand why the police officer did what he did (or perhaps why he shouldn't have done what he did): http://www.lawcollective.org/article.php?id=126

And here is an ACLU brochure on your rights: https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/files/field_toolkit_file/kyr_english_3.pdf

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">