• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tresspasing in Train Station after London Bombing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JamesMcarlos

What is the name of your state?NJ
Short Version:
I was questioned for trespassing. Cops wrote a report but didn't give a ticket, take fingerprints or arrest me, said "We will have you in our records, next time we'll lock you up"
will this show up on my permanent record? Will employers know?
I'm losing sleep over it.​

Long Version:
It was in Newark Penn Station soon after the London Bombings, I had to wait a while for my train so I decided to walk around (I'm a skinny white Jewish boy with a light backpack).
Being the Geek that I am I walk to the end of the platform to watch the trains. I kept a careful eye out for "no trespassing" signs, so if there were any present they must have had 90 years of fading and been hardly noticeable.

Some train driver sees me and I leave right when tells me to. Sure enough, as i get to the main part of the platform I see the same driver nervously chatting with 3 tense police officers.
I know what’s coming and walk slowly as they approach and surround me. They have me stand up against a wall with two cops hovering over/ interrogating me as the third searches my backpack.
I have no criminal record and nothing hide so I wasn't scared until they said I was trespassing (I had no idea). They asked condescendingly if I knew there were terrorist attacks in London and Tel-Aviv. I should have told them that my brothers friend was killed by a terrorist on a bus (this is true) but I didn't think of it till much later.
Anyway they took my drivers license and SS# and wrote some things down on paper then let me go saying
"We will have you in our records, next time we'll lock you up"

What does this mean? At the time I thought "records" might mean Penn Station Records not “my permanent record.” Do I have a criminal record now even though they didn’t give me a ticket or even take me to the station!

Please let me know, I’ve been losing lots of sleep over it,
Feel free to ask me about anything I might have left out.

Thanks,
James

CdwJava

No, there is no criminal record. What they obtained was what we refer to as an "F.I.", or, "Field Interview". It is a record of the contact and that is about it.

I hope you can understand why they might be a little wary of people lingering in areas around the train station right now. I suspect that there is not much they can really do to you as long as you have a legitimate reason to be there. But, I would not be surprised if there are soon new rules about how long you can wait for a train. I don't think they will want people loitering in the area any more ... just in case.

- Carl

JamesMcarlos

CdwJava said:
No, there is no criminal record. What they obtained was what we refer to as an "F.I.", or, "Field Interview". It is a record of the contact and that is about it.

I hope you can understand why they might be a little wary of people lingering in areas around the train station right now. I suspect that there is not much they can really do to you as long as you have a legitimate reason to be there. But, I would not be surprised if there are soon new rules about how long you can wait for a train. I don't think they will want people loitering in the area any more ... just in case.

- Carl
Thank you so much, wow, I'm so happy, I thought for sure that I ruined my life there. I guess "their records" means it'll come up if i get caught in Newark Penn. again.
I understand why they were worried, and I'm making sure not to do it again.
thanks again,
James

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">