• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trying to avoid getting charged for theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leslie1985

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Florida

i have been working at a job for about a year now, and after working there i admit that i did steal a few things from the store a co worker tipped me off that they knew and i was going to get fired and fined, so i just stop going. and i don't answer the phone calls. can they file charges against me without any real proof? all they said was they had a list but no real proof. also they want me to just pay a fine of all the things i stole but it was under a 100 dollars and a co worker told me they had on a paper 257 dollar fine. can they do that? if i don't go back can they file charges in court against me?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
...can they file charges against me without any real proof?
How do you know they don't have proof? How did they find out what happened to begin with?

"They" don't file charges. "They" make a complaint and it's up to the local prosecutor to file charges.

We don't know what will happen in this case. Either you do the right thing and face the music or you'll be living in fear for quite a while wondering if you'll be arrested.

swalsh411

They fine the want you to pay is completely unrelated to any possible criminal charges you may face. Retailers are allowed to make what is commonly referred to as a "civil demand" in excess of the value of what you stole. If you don't pay it, they could sue you, and if they win you will pay a lot more than $257. Paying the civil demand does not prove guilt in any criminal proceedings. If the police want to talk "just to get your side of the story" or similar nonsense, say nothing except that will not be answering any questions. If you are arrested, say nothing except that you want an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">