• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Turn myself in?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

worazi12

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Recently I was ordered to appear in court, because of a charge against me for writing bad checks. Due to some mix up in the mailing, I only received the summons two weeks before I was ordered to go. I tried calling and e-mailing the judge to try and get an extension, but my call and e-mail was never returned. Once the trial came around, I had a friend who offered me a ride (The court is about two hours away from where I live), only to find out her car broke down the day before. Now, I couldn't go, and couldn't get in touch with anyone to tell them about it. Apparently there has been a bench warrant issued against me, what should I do? Should I turn myself in, get an attorney, call and talk to the judge, anything? Thanks for all the help you can offer.

CdwJava

Call the attorney THEN turn yourself in. The attorney might help you arrange bail ahead of time so that your time in physical custody is minimal.

If you wait, then the cops might come and get you when it is the most inconvenient for you.

Oh ... and don't expect that story to gain you any sympathy with the court - they have heard it and a dozen variations on the theme a hundred times. YOU were responsible to get to court ... you did not ... you face the penalty.

- Carl

seniorjudge

worazi12 said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Recently I was ordered to appear in court, because of a charge against me for writing bad checks. Due to some mix up in the mailing, I only received the summons two weeks before I was ordered to go. I tried calling and e-mailing the judge to try and get an extension, but my call and e-mail was never returned. Once the trial came around, I had a friend who offered me a ride (The court is about two hours away from where I live), only to find out her car broke down the day before. Now, I couldn't go, and couldn't get in touch with anyone to tell them about it. Apparently there has been a bench warrant issued against me, what should I do? Should I turn myself in, get an attorney, call and talk to the judge, anything? Thanks for all the help you can offer.
Q: Apparently there has been a bench warrant issued against me, what should I do? Should I turn myself in, get an attorney, call and talk to the judge, anything?

A: Surrender. The judge will not talk to you until you are in court. By the way, being unable to fetch a ride with two weeks' notice is pretty lame.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">