• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Turned self in AFTER warrant recalled/charges dismissed, still processed and charged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

varoom35

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

On september 21st i had a restraining order/domestic violence ex-parte issued against my ex-spouse for harrassment. She was served, October15th, 2005. On October16th, 2005, ex-spouse filed a stalking charge against me in their county magistrates office and an arrest warrant for me was issued. At this point, my ex-spouse was already served (the day before) with the ex-parte against them to appear in court on October 18th 2005 for the hearing. My ex-spouse told me that I had charges against me on October 23rd. I called my county sheriff office and yes, they had a warrant. I turned myself in the following morning of october 25th, 2005, was booked, seen before a magistrate who stated the charge was retalitory but he could not "erase" it since it was a domestic violence case. I was incarcerated for a day, was handcuffed and humiliated. Was put in with the general population of the county jail for 6 hours and then posted a 3000 secured bail. Days later, I found out that the charges were dismissed on october 24th, the day before i turned myself in!!!!!! , and that the mode of disposition was "never to be serverd - NS". At this point, I had paid 450 for bail (15% of 3000), had missed 3 days of work, had suffered emotional trauma from being in jail for the first time in my life. I had the information faxed from the charging county to the county where i was "prosecuted/processed". Is this right? I was booked and prosecuted the day after the charges were dropped since the acts did not constitute what i was charged with according to the charging county's da!! I need to recoup my losses and feel someone messed up. I was totally innocent, yet I went to jail!!!! Did no one check to see if there was a domestic violence order against my spouse before issuing a warrent the NEXT day after they got served, for my arrest?????????????? My ex-spouse agreed to the consent order on the 18th that they had harrased me and were to stay away from me except for minor children issues.

What can/should I do?

thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">